Cleaning carb on a 80 KZ750H LTD

More
30 Apr 2009 20:58 #286681 by vincentmoy
Cleaning carb on a 80 KZ750H LTD was created by vincentmoy
I have posted in the "New to all of this" thread but Patton suggested to open a new thread. So here are my question.

1) I've read that when I do my carb cleaning I should replace the gasket. When I went to Z1 Enterprise the only gasket they have is the flow-boat o-ring. I am wondering if it's same thing.

2) Do I need to resync the carb if I take it apart to clean it? I am not planning to spend too much on a carb sync tool so I might just going to make one. Are they hard?

Thanks

Vincent

KZ750 LTD
Miles: Unknown (speedo cable broke)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2009 22:19 #286775 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Cleaning carb on a 80 KZ750H LTD
if your not sure even how to use them then i would definitly buy a set of gauges or manometers i prefer manometers my self and the proper instructions will come with them. it is very easy to mess up completly if your not sure so invest a little and get the right stuff, i've been doing this for a living for 18 years and i have never seen anybody who can tune a set of carbs completly by ear so do it right and you will be much happier for it by the time you where to make up something that would actually work properly how much time money and effort would you have used up. take it from somebody who knows just get the right stuff and don't cut corners or get a pro to do it it wouldn't take a good guy long also it is pointless to just do a carb sync do a valve adjustment as well first.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
01 May 2009 01:08 - 01 May 2009 01:10 #286902 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cleaning carb on a 80 KZ750H LTD
Am thinking 1980 KZ750-H LTD has CV carbs with butterfly adjuster screws for syncing.

Other members will be able to offer better more specific advice about cleaning and adjusting CV carbs. I do seem to recall an earlier thread about the rubber floatbowl o-rings being questionable for re-use.

If don't yet have a FSM, and not already done, may go the above green ribbon and click on Filebase under KZ Information. Then select 1980 and scroll down to KZ750-H and click to bring up some helpful downloadable info and parts diagrams including carbs.

Z1E lists the rubber floatbowl o-rings as separate items, and also lists a full carb kit which includes the floatbowl o-ring plus other parts (jets, more o-rings, float needle, etc.). Perhaps only the floatbowl o-rings may be needed in this case.

Because carb function depends so much on the other components, before addressing the carbs, if not already done, it is best to first assure compression (valve clearances), ignition (spark quality and timing), all being up to specs, plus good clean fuel supply (tank interior, petcock, inline fuel filter, and float bowl fuel level). At minimum would check valve clearances, install brand new spark plugs, and assure correct fuel levels, even when dealing with freshly cleaned carbs. Because, even perfect carbs can't compensate for deficiencies in the other components.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 01 May 2009 01:10 by Patton.

More
01 May 2009 05:33 #286938 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Cleaning carb on a 80 KZ750H LTD
If your carbs are Keihins it will say Keihin on the #1 carb. The one at your left let while sitting on the bike. If so then these use the rubber float bowl O ring rather than a conventional gasket and you should definitely get 4 as old ones dont go back on easily.

I'm a firm believer in synching carbs after dissassembly and cleaning. I agree with TB33 and say get a good synch tool or pay a pro. It will cost you about the same in the end like Patton says dont neglect the other stuff.
Good luck.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust