bad throttle cable(s)....maybe??

More
06 Mar 2006 09:39 #28657 by indykaw77
bad throttle cable(s)....maybe?? was created by indykaw77
OK.....so after a handlebar swap, I noticed that the throttle does not "snap" back shut when released. I think to myself..."Self....what'd ya do wrong??"
I DID re-route both cables to take a kink out of them.
Now......I notice that if I wiggle/move/disturb the cables at the grip end where the cable first meets the threaded adjuster, the throttle will/wont snap shut.????
It would close OK before, not exactly "right away", but better than it do now, and like I said, I took a kink OUT of them (cables). When cables were free at both ends, I used Cable-Lube on them and they both seemed to travel OK with no binding spots at all.
It's not like it's a life-threatening defect, I can always just roll it shut by hand....but why would it be worse after REMOVING a sharp kink?? I cant see where the housing is separating from the adjuster, but just a wee touch of movement there seriously affects the closing.
Ideas?

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2006 10:09 #28667 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic bad throttle cable(s)....maybe??
Try readjusting the return cable slack (if I recall correctly). I found that if I tried to adjust the cables exactly per the manual, then the throttle would not span closed and required coaxing. I loosened things up on the return side until it was snapping closed on its own.

HTH,

- Nate >>

Post edited by: n0nb, at: 2006/03/06 13:28

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
06 Mar 2006 10:22 #28669 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic bad throttle cable(s)....maybe??
BINGO!!!! manual says start with NO CLEARANCE where front cable holder/bracket meets throttle stop at carb end. Seems if I leave an eyelash of space there...all is well.
However......wiggling the housing-meets-adjuster point at grip end still leaves a bit of slow closing action. No more than cables cost, Jeff may be getting some of my $$ this week.
Thanks for the tip N0NB re: ignore (exact)manual steps!

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

More
06 Mar 2006 10:30 #28671 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic bad throttle cable(s)....maybe??
Glad to be of help. In this case free action, however it's acheived, is more important than following the manual to the letter. :laugh:

- Nate >>

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )