sorry guys another newbe jet question

More
23 Apr 2009 17:18 #284517 by killerkaw
sorry guys another newbe jet question was created by killerkaw
Hi my bike is an 82 750 twin with bs34 carbs it has strait shorty pipes and pods and im beating my head against the wall trying to get this thing running right and to save some time my valve adjustment is ok my timing is right on plugs are new coils are good and has 140lb compression before i messed with carbs i had a lot of popping in deceleration and a bad hesitation in the mid range and under hard aceleration with white plugs i took to be all signs of a very lean condition so i pulled the jets it had 115 mains and 45 pilot i moved pilots to #50 and 120 mains and shimmed the needle this did away with the poping and made it start better but seems a bit rich at idle it did away with the hesitation in mid range but now it falls on its face on top end 5500 and up does anyone know a combination that may work all around
thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2009 18:51 #284583 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic sorry guys another newbe jet question
You need to deal with one problem at a time. I would put the carbs back to factory specs and start from there. Is the poppong coming from the carbs or exhaust on deceleration? If carbs then your idle curcuit is running lean, if exhaust then the idle curcuit is to rich. Your midrange is controlled by the needles and full throttle is controlled by the main jet. If you try and solve a midrange or idle problem with main jetting changes you will drive yourself crazy. That is why you have to fix one problem at a time.

More
23 Apr 2009 19:16 #284594 by killerkaw
Replied by killerkaw on topic sorry guys another newbe jet question
well that makes sense all the popping was exhust never any from carb so ill put it all back to stock but going to the #50 pilot did away with 99% of the popping just seems to be rich now and the 45 was to lean so i leave the #50 and try again any more advise would be greatly appreciated

More
25 Apr 2009 22:04 #285286 by killerkaw
ok i got the idle right and got good mid range powe but falls flat on its face i have gone thru mains 115 120 125 and does not help i currently have #50 pilot 125 main and the needle shimed im about ready to chuck the pods how will that setup run with factory air box i will still going to have the open exhust thanks

More
25 Apr 2009 23:04 #285301 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic sorry guys another newbe jet question
i had a simalar problem on a 95 inch harley i built for a guy last year i tried two different carbs played with needle heights main jets every thing all because he had to have open drag pipes the second i put his baffles that he finnally showed up with the whole bike changed it cleaned u everywhere it became a different bike you might want to give that atry sometimes you just can't get open pipes to work right i'm sorry to say especally when your dealing with carbs that there is not a whole lot of stuff for the only way it looks like you will ever get those to work right is to get the bike hooked up to an exhaust gas analizer to find out your rich points and also your lean points and to help figure what you will have to do to those carb's and by the way if you can find someone with a machine like that take a bucket of jets with you because you will be making lots of changes.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
26 Apr 2009 02:23 #285332 by Lukes6
Replied by Lukes6 on topic sorry guys another newbe jet question
Im dealing with the same problem on my 77 Twin at the moment. I have the bs 38 carbys and found that there just isnt enough vacuum to open the slides with the pods on. I had the same thing with it running well all except for up in the revs.

My theory is its because the carby needs vacuum to open the slides and give you full throttle. Try wrapping some tape around half of your pods surface area and try again. I found it gave me great results. Its only a short term fix but it identifies your problem.
Let us know how you go if you find some other way around.

More
26 Apr 2009 06:18 #285357 by killerkaw
ok ill try anything at this point i would have thought more air flow would increase vacume ill let you know what i figure out thanks

More
26 Apr 2009 07:45 #285372 by brianrae33
Replied by brianrae33 on topic sorry guys another newbe jet question
have bs34's on my 82 ltd1000..talked to jeff at z1 and he explained that if running the cheap emgo filters the rubber will partially block an hair hole just inside the circumference of the carb...some creative work with an exacto knife solves this just be careful not to remove too much material..hope this helps..

1982 kz1000ltd

More
26 Apr 2009 07:46 #285373 by brianrae33
Replied by brianrae33 on topic sorry guys another newbe jet question
also from what i've been told the k&n's do not have this problem..

1982 kz1000ltd

More
26 Apr 2009 07:54 #285376 by killerkaw
ok that should be easy enough to check thanks

More
27 Apr 2009 07:26 - 27 Apr 2009 07:27 #285654 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic sorry guys another newbe jet question
Here's how I solved the 82 750 twin w/pods problem. It has worked like a dream. You'll never get it right, just changing the jet sizes and the stock needle is just plain worthless.
Ron
(click link)
tinyurl.com/dfasyq

killerkaw wrote:

Hi my bike is an 82 750 twin with bs34 carbs it has strait shorty pipes and pods and im beating my head against the wall trying to get this thing running right and to save some time my valve adjustment is ok my timing is right on plugs are new coils are good and has 140lb compression before i messed with carbs i had a lot of popping in deceleration and a bad hesitation in the mid range and under hard aceleration with white plugs i took to be all signs of a very lean condition so i pulled the jets it had 115 mains and 45 pilot i moved pilots to #50 and 120 mains and shimmed the needle this did away with the poping and made it start better but seems a bit rich at idle it did away with the hesitation in mid range but now it falls on its face on top end 5500 and up does anyone know a combination that may work all around
thanks in advance

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades
Last edit: 27 Apr 2009 07:27 by ronjones.

More
30 Apr 2009 15:23 #286567 by killerkaw
I figured it out the pods were blocking the vacuum ports and not letting the needle go all the way up i got 58mm pods and trimmed the old rubber off the smaller pods and used as a spacer to fill the gap runs great now thanks for the help