Fowling plugs

• Kingchiefa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • To each thier own.
More
21 Apr 2009 10:34 #283665 by Kingchiefa
Fowling plugs was created by Kingchiefa
Hey guys this is the first KZ I have ever owned, it is my first bike. I'm having a problem with my plugs fowling out, one of my buddies told the carb is way open, but I have no clue what he is talking about and I'm not 100% positive he know what he is talking about. But... I gotta get this fixed, what should I do and how should I go about doing it?

1979 KZ1000 ltd b3 Currently in Troy, PA. Hope to some of you on the road.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2009 10:48 - 21 Apr 2009 12:23 #283668 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Fowling plugs
First get a manual for your year and model ASAP. It will be a god-send.

In general this is the recommended troubleshooting order:
a) Compression
b) Ignition
c) Carburetion

Any other order will cost you time and money in equal measure. :pinch:

1) If the plugs are fouling with dry black soot then you have a spark problem and will need the WG Coil Repowering Mod (About $10 CAD in parts).

2) If it is fouling with oil, then you need to consider the rings or an exhaust valve seal.

3) If it is fouling with wet gas then you need to (in this order) adjust the carb bowl service fuel level, do a carb sync adjustment, adjust the gas-air ration or re-jet.

Best of success. :)

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Last edit: 21 Apr 2009 12:23 by bill_wilcox100.

More
21 Apr 2009 11:18 #283675 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Fowling plugs
sounds to me like you probably have a bad float valve assembly in one of your carbs and please buy a manual it will help you get more familar with your motorcycle and all the sytems and how they are all connected.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
21 Apr 2009 16:09 #283771 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Fowling plugs
all 4 are fouling out? whats the history on bike?
reg ridden? just out of storage?.......keith

• Kingchiefa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • To each thier own.
More
21 Apr 2009 17:28 #283830 by Kingchiefa
Replied by Kingchiefa on topic Fowling plugs
The history is a little wishy washy from the guy. He says he has the carbs open more for dragging on the track but I don't know. I'm looking on Ebay for a manual right now guys. Thanx for the info.

More
21 Apr 2009 17:51 #283846 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Fowling plugs
sounds like ya might need to take a look at carbs.....good luck....lots of help here at kzrider.....

More
22 Apr 2009 01:56 #283991 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Fowling plugs
He probably means he has bigger mains in the carbs for better top end. You probably have no idea what I mean but when you get a manual you will see. Do you have individual pod filters? Aftermarket exhaust? Those will require you change the jetting. I'm betting the bike has 26mm carbs and the PO went crazy with the main jets and bumped them up way too much. They are easy to change and pretty cheap. One more thing have the compression checked. Low compression will foul the plugs with the fuzzy black soot.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
22 Apr 2009 05:35 #284000 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Fowling plugs

If the plugs are fouling with dry black soot then you have a spark problem and will need the WG Coil Repowering Mod (About $10 CAD in parts).

Sorry Bill and others, not trying to start a war here but I have seen this posted way too many times now to not reply any longer.... This wiring configuration is not truly ideal...

Does it work, yes but not without other concerns now added to your already weak electrical system. This is only band aiding a problem, not repairing it. For if in a jam and the coil voltage is indeed on the weak side (<+12Vdc) and need to just make it home while out on a road trip, hell, don't even need a relay for that....

Black sooty plugs can be some as simple as the carbs being miss-adjusted... In my case, good power at the coils but still black/sooted. Cause, miss-adjusted pilots on brand new carbs... Then there's synch and proper jetting at idle and through the ranges to contend with...

KchiefA... the advice of getting the manual, study it, and go through every check & adjustment depicted in the maintenance section and you may find it to be something normal on a 30 year old bike...

You mentioned "dragging on the track".... well that alone may be a clue where the timing is advanced or retarded or he has the carbs tweaked to perform better at mid to high rpm range or maybe, he has a hot/cold plug in there for dragging.. who knows for now until you get the manual and get busy....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• Kingchiefa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • To each thier own.
More
22 Apr 2009 05:45 #284001 by Kingchiefa
Replied by Kingchiefa on topic Fowling plugs
Yeah it does have individual carb breathers and aftermarket exhuast. A couple of the plugs have black soot and a couple have wet gas. I replaced all of them yesterday and she is currently running like a dream but.... I want this problem fixed so I am going to take the advice everyone has given me, "getting the manual prioity one" and all other advice probably print of the thread. I'm going to fix this and make it one hell of a bike. Thanx guys.

More
22 Apr 2009 16:29 - 22 Apr 2009 16:32 #284148 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Fowling plugs
OMR, no-war-intended so no-war-taken. :laugh:

However, I am interested in:
1) why you believe it is not ideal and,
2) what other concerns might be added to a weakened charging system?

I think I have a handle on the benefits and, other than the $10 CAD cost, I have not come up with any significant down sides. Of course I have only implemented this on one bike, mine, so I may be missing some details due to my small sample size.

Again, no wars, just exchanging opinions/conclusions based on research and or experience between members.

Best of success. :)

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Last edit: 22 Apr 2009 16:32 by bill_wilcox100.