Full throttle old air duct overfilling problems

More
19 Apr 2009 07:35 - 19 Apr 2009 07:38 #283058 by Gertok
Hi, I have 1982 KZ750 CSR TWIn with 7300 miles on it. Carb was cleaned, valves adjusted, ignition replaced. It started running. But when you give a full throttle it chokes and dies. Gets worse in 2 and 3 gear progressively. Fuel leaks out of intake of the carb on the left side. Air duct hoses that lead from the air box to the Carb are not installed, because they've been laying around for 2 weeks, dried and shrunk. They also had cracks under the clamping springs before.
As far as overfilling goes I already ordered floats, float valves + needle. It could also cause it running rich, and choke on high rpms. Can disconnected hoses cause this problem? What else? Thank you.
I cannot find replacement air ducts anywhere. Can I restore them? or make them out of something else, so that they would last for a couple of months. Or should I order K&N style clamp filters and eliminate stock air box.

THANK YOU!
Last edit: 19 Apr 2009 07:38 by Gertok.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2009 07:43 #283060 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Full throttle old air duct overfilling problems
Gertok wrote:

Hi, I have 1982 KZ750 CSR TWIn with 7300 miles on it. Carb was cleaned, valves adjusted, ignition replaced. It started running. But when you give a full throttle it chokes and dies. Gets worse in 2 and 3 gear progressively. Fuel leaks out of intake of the carb on the left side. Air duct hoses that lead from the air box to the Carb are not installed, because they've been laying around for 2 weeks, dried and shrunk. They also had cracks under the clamping springs before.
As far as overfilling goes I already ordered floats, float valves + needle. It could also cause it running rich, and choke on high rpms. Can disconnected hoses cause this problem? What else? Thank you.

For starters, the air horn between the back of the carb and the airbox absolutely needs to be in place. Without that, the carbs go lean the second you give it throttle. The engine stumbles....maybe dies completely.

If you think it's rich because the plugs are black / wet, that won't be from the missing air horns. That would be from either a carb adjustment or iginition problem usually.

You really should get new air horns and keep the airbox in place. If for some reason you cannot do that, then rejetting the carbs is the alternative. Have fun with that because without a good jet kit designed for that model, you'll play hell trying to dial it in...

Larry C

More
19 Apr 2009 08:01 #283065 by Gertok
what about k&n style filters