oil in the air box

More
13 Apr 2009 10:49 #281384 by kz550jc
oil in the air box was created by kz550jc
hello everyone i need help real bad, i have a kz550 ltd
i took the carbs out to clean them because the 2 middle cyclinder are not working when i opened the airbox its had about an INCH of oil in the bottom is this normal so i figure i get rid of this air box and replace it with a pod filter does anybody knw if i could just plugs the hoses from and to the airbox [/color

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
13 Apr 2009 11:49 - 13 Apr 2009 11:50 #281401 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic oil in the air box
What is happening is you are having very high pressures in your crank case that is pushing this oil out. There could be a number of reasons for this, but I would suspect since you say you just cleaned your carbs and the problem arose after, that you either have floats stuck open or improper float heights causing fuel to leak into the cylinders when the bike is not running...it will make its way down and end up in your crankcase... when you run the bike the oil level will be way to high and the motor will force oil out of the overflow.

If you ignore the problem and plug the overflow hose, you will probably blow a gasket somewhere as the crankcase needs to vent the pressure caused by the pistons downward movement.

If the floats are flooding the cylinders, that would also explain why those cylinders are missing.

Check you float bowl fuel height... the process for doing it will be in your service manual.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2009 11:50 by hardr0ck68.

More
14 Apr 2009 04:46 #281604 by kz550jc
Replied by kz550jc on topic oil in the air box
i cleaned the carbs and i will try to start the bike in a hour.
but what if i wanna replace my air box to a cone filter what do i do with the over flow hose, since i cant plug it and what about the air suction system

• hardr0ck68
  • User
More
14 Apr 2009 09:08 - 14 Apr 2009 09:13 #281655 by hardr0ck68
you can add pod filters, but first you really need to find out why you are puking oil out of the overflow.

Check the oil level in the bike, if for whatever reason you have to much oil in the crankcase it may cause some oil to blow out the overflow.

If the oil level is high, change the oil and smell the used oil for gasoline. If there is a strong smell of fuel in the oil then one of more of your carbs are leaking fuel.

If the oil smells good and there is the proper oil level in the crankcase, do a compression test. If your rings are shot that will also force oil out of the overflow.

If you change to pod filters, and oil still comes out of the overflow it may end up all over your bike, and worst case all over your tire.

What many people do when changing to pods is add a simple breather filter to the overflow hose.

here is my set up...

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Apr 2009 09:13 by hardr0ck68. Reason: to add picture

• hardr0ck68
  • User
More
14 Apr 2009 09:15 #281658 by hardr0ck68
one more try

1977 kz650 c1

Attachments:

More
14 Apr 2009 10:01 #281674 by kz550jc
Replied by kz550jc on topic oil in the air box
what about the airsuction system the hose that goes to the front of the engine and gives fresh air to the exhaust do i plug that also, sorry im not familiar with the term

More
14 Apr 2009 11:47 #281708 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic oil in the air box
Some have bought or made plates to fit the valve covers to block off the ports (remove the port plates and install flat plates with no hole), or you can even just run a single hose between the two valve cover ports.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s