New airbox hoses installation

More
28 Mar 2009 16:39 #276163 by Joe77A1
New airbox hoses installation was created by Joe77A1
I bought my 77 KZ1000A1 at the beginning of the winter and have been working on it for the last couple of weekends . I installed new airbox hoses as the old ones were stiff and MOTHER OF GOD , it was a real struggle to get the radius lip fitting into the two screen sections within the airbox . THEN .... getting the bank of carbs past the airbox hoses and mounted into the carb holders was a royal pain in the ass !
After a few hours of cursing , I finally finished the job . Sad part is that later on , I will have to determine why the carbs are running a bit rich and will need to do this over again . :woohoo:
It's no wonder why there are bikes with pods on the carbs !
I couldn't imagine doing fleet maintenance on hundreds of KZ1000 police bikes .
Anyways , I took the bike for a nice run for the 1st time today and it runs excellent ! I have an 1988 ZX10 and my KZ1000 doesn't have the same pull but the riding position is awesome and it has laced wheels !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2009 17:02 #276169 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic New airbox hoses installation
Two thing to do; either replace the old,stiff boots/ducts or try soaking them in very hot water to soften them up.

I think www.z1enterprises.com can get new ones for you.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
28 Mar 2009 18:28 #276192 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic New airbox hoses installation
Hey Joe (By the way great song)
Since you have new rubbers try this when you go to put your carbs back in. Do this to all the rubbers just before you want to install the carb bank. Then unfold over the carbs. I do it to my outer ones to take the bank of carbs off to. Just don't leave them like that. And about twice a year spray those boots with wd40 or silicone and let them soak. It will keep those boots soft a lot longer.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
28 Mar 2009 20:12 #276218 by littlemanonbigbike
Replied by littlemanonbigbike on topic New airbox hoses installation
I used my wife's hair dryer to heat them up to soften them worked pretty good. She has since bought a new one so i keep her old one in the garage in case i need it again

1982 1100 Spectre
Various other toys

More
30 Mar 2009 00:45 #276671 by Joe77A1
Replied by Joe77A1 on topic New airbox hoses installation
Thanks very much for the insight into gaining much needed clearance when installing the carb bank . I will definitely be doing this next time , plus the occasional silicon spray on the hoses .
I agree .... Hendrix rules it !