Another 550 carb question..

More
21 Mar 2009 13:05 #273934 by scotth86
Another 550 carb question.. was created by scotth86
Let me start by saying i know little to nothing about carbs. I have an 81 kz550 that i bought last summer, the carbs were rebuilt 2 years before i bought it. It was running a little rich but not too bad. I changed the plugs and it ran like a striped ass ape for a couple of days, and then it started popping and cracking during acceleration and idle. and with too much throttle it fell on its face and would nearly die. I was told by a few different people that it may have already been jetted up with the rebuild so i put pod filters and megaphones with no baffles on it. Still does it, just much louder now. When i tried to start it the other day, i got nothing. will turn over but wont fire. good spark. even with a shot of starting fluid it wont start. i need help. the carbs couldnt possibly need rebuilt already would they??? Jet problem? or just adjustment? im at a loss here guys. Sorry the post was so long, just trying to get all the info out there in one shot... Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2009 13:31 #273938 by GPz550D1
Replied by GPz550D1 on topic Another 550 carb question..
May I suggest that if there is any doubt about your spark plug wire resistor caps, that you replace those. Those are the ends that connect to your spark plugs. You can get a set through Z1, who advertises on this site. How do your spark plugs look? Replace those if there is any doubt about their condition. Do you have the stock TK22 carburetor? If so, it is very easy to work on. You might want to get your valves adjusted also. I have a 1981 KZ550-D1.

Robert

1981 KZ550-D1

More
21 Mar 2009 13:38 #273940 by scotth86
Replied by scotth86 on topic Another 550 carb question..
Yea, it still has the stock carbs. I put 3 sets of plugs in it last year, everytime the bike would run great for awhile and then the same problem. ill get a pic of the plugs if that would help. Im gonna try cleaning the carbs in a bit. im pretty sure it was stored outside...

More
21 Mar 2009 13:50 #273945 by GPz550D1
Replied by GPz550D1 on topic Another 550 carb question..
scotth86 wrote:

Yea, it still has the stock carbs. I put 3 sets of plugs in it last year, everytime the bike would run great for awhile and then the same problem. ill get a pic of the plugs if that would help. Im gonna try cleaning the carbs in a bit. im pretty sure it was stored outside...

I would like to see a picture of your old plugs. My bike will not fire if the battery is just a little low, although the engine spins fine. I find if I reduce my spark plug gap to the lower end of the specifications, it will fire right off. Our bikes need a battery that is in good shape to start. Are you using NGK plugs? If so, what heat range? Sounds like your carburetor is running too rich maybe?
Robert

1981 KZ550-D1