Whats your favorite carbs?

More
20 Mar 2009 13:08 - 20 Mar 2009 13:09 #273721 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Whats your favorite carbs?
TK22's are my favorite also. They are the simplest carbs I've seen for 550 displacement motors. Just a main circuit and pilot circuit with air screws. No funky plungers or intermediate jets or diaphragms or pistons or air jets. They are also very well made. The only time I've seen them damaged was by mechanic error. The castings and threads wear very well.

The best part is they are super cheap and plentiful on ebay along with comprehensive rebuild kits, and dynojet kits, because Kawasaki used them on so many KZ500/550 models with the only real changes being the main jet size.

The only weak point is the choke system which is just a mechanical plate with a flap. But all of that can be modified easily if necessary. So far I've been lucky, on the dozen or so sets I've worked with they all worked properly.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2009 13:09 by loudhvx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2009 13:24 #273725 by GPz550D1
Replied by GPz550D1 on topic Whats your favorite carbs?
loudhvx wrote:

TK22's are my favorite also. They are the simplest carbs I've seen for 550 displacement motors. Just a main circuit and pilot circuit with air screws. No funky plungers or intermediate jets or diaphragms or pistons or air jets. They are also very well made. The only time I've seen them damaged was by mechanic error. The castings and threads wear very well.

The best part is they are super cheap and plentiful on ebay along with comprehensive rebuild kits, and dynojet kits, because Kawasaki used them on so many KZ500/550 models with the only real changes being the main jet size.

The only weak point is the choke system which is just a mechanical plate with a flap. But all of that can be modified easily if necessary. So far I've been lucky, on the dozen or so sets I've worked with they all worked properly.

Maybe we can start a thread sometime and you can let us know how to modify the choke plates, if needed?

Robert

1981 KZ550-D1

More
20 Mar 2009 13:32 #273726 by SPARKY47
Replied by SPARKY47 on topic Whats your favorite carbs?
I'd second that.
My 500 carbs are about to be dis assembled.

1980 KZ500 B2

More
20 Mar 2009 13:33 #273727 by loudhvx
GPz550D1 wrote:

Maybe we can start a thread sometime and you can let us know how to modify the choke plates, if needed?

Robert

Somewhere on KZrider there are a couple threads around on the subject. I forgot who did it, but they were playing with different ideas. If I can find it, I'll bump it in the forum. I've only made a mod for the fast-idle setting... very simple:

www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZchokeScrewMod.html

More
20 Mar 2009 14:39 - 20 Mar 2009 14:40 #273732 by loudhvx
Mstbone67a made new flaps in this thread

TCbradbury98 was experimenting with solid plates and using the choke lever to let air in as the starter was cranking. That simulates the old-fashioned choking method of just putting your hand over the intake and removing it while cranking. It's very effective once you get the feel down and practice. But I don't know if he posted a follow up. If I get a chance I may try that on one of my bikes just to see how feasible it is.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2009 14:40 by loudhvx.

More
20 Mar 2009 14:55 #273736 by GPz550D1
Replied by GPz550D1 on topic Whats your favorite carbs?
loudhvx wrote:

Mstbone67a made new flaps in this thread

TCbradbury98 was experimenting with solid plates and using the choke lever to let air in as the starter was cranking. That simulates the old-fashioned choking method of just putting your hand over the intake and removing it while cranking. It's very effective once you get the feel down and practice. But I don't know if he posted a follow up. If I get a chance I may try that on one of my bikes just to see how feasible it is.

Thank you!

1981 KZ550-D1

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
20 Mar 2009 15:39 #273741 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic Whats your favorite carbs?
I'm pretty happy with my BS34s! The bodies are from a KZ1100, but I have the cutout slides with the stubby needles and lighter springs from a GPz750 set.

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
20 Mar 2009 16:07 #273745 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Whats your favorite carbs?
I'll have to go with Nate and say fuel injection. Those carbs you guys picture are perty looking, but I hate all carbs, particularly those CV piece of crap where the diaphrams go bad at $200 each. No more carbs for me thankfully, I've got my 8 carb equiped motorcycles and I hate them all (carbs that is). :laugh:

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
20 Mar 2009 17:09 #273751 by grinch77
Replied by grinch77 on topic Whats your favorite carbs?
PLUMMEN wrote:

ones that work are always my favorite!:laugh:

to f'in true

1978 KZ650\'82 KZ750 motor
1991 SE-R
Coweta,OK

More
20 Mar 2009 17:52 - 20 Mar 2009 17:54 #273761 by loudhvx
RonKZ650 wrote:

I'll have to go with Nate and say fuel injection. Those carbs you guys picture are perty looking, but I hate all carbs, particularly those CV piece of crap where the diaphrams go bad at $200 each. No more carbs for me thankfully, I've got my 8 carb equiped motorcycles and I hate them all (carbs that is). :laugh:

You're on a low-carb diet too, I take it? :laugh:
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Mar 2009 17:54 by loudhvx.

More
20 Mar 2009 18:30 #273771 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Whats your favorite carbs?
I love my smoothbores.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
20 Mar 2009 18:42 #273773 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Whats your favorite carbs?

Flatslides, Mikuni TMR

Mmmm, mmmm, good.....and better for you than Campbell's soup, too.:laugh: :laugh:
Now THOSE are good workin' and good lookin' carbs....
and that rack is worth a king's ransom, too.:ohmy: :ohmy: :laugh:
Now, I just need a bike to put 'em on.....:side: :silly: :woohoo:

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.