Help me understand what they do....

• SouPortugues
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Mar 2009 23:14 #271526 by SouPortugues
Help me understand what they do.... was created by SouPortugues
Specifically pod filters (as opposed to stock airbox), and 4 into 1 exhaust (as opposed to individual, 4-2, etc).
Perhaps I don't understand the function of such mods other than the obvious, they look cooler!:P
No really, if it's power, torque, gas mileage, whatever, give me a quick (and relatively jargon free) synopsis. I'm still pretty green to this whole, motor-bicycle thing....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
12 Mar 2009 23:21 #271528 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Help me understand what they do....
I can give you an idea about the pod filters. They give you less restricted air flow allowing more air (and in turn more fuel) into the engine for a better burn. They can increase both power and gas mileage. Using pod filters may require the need to "re-jet" your carbs (use bigger jets to allow more fuel flow) because they will most likely cause a lean mixture if you don't rejet.

The 4 in to 1 exhaust baffles me a bit. The way you get more power out of an engine is to increase both inflow and outflow. How a 4 in to 1 would create better flow than a 4 in to 2 or straight headers is beyond me, unless it creates ideal back-pressure (like a flowmaster exhaust would do for your car or truck).

Anyway, that's what I know about it, and unless anyone has better info than me, I think it is fairly accurate (but would like to learn more as well)

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

• SouPortugues
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Mar 2009 07:49 #271571 by SouPortugues
Replied by SouPortugues on topic Help me understand what they do....
Thanks for the pod info, I'd love to get a clear understanding of the exhaust just as you do.

More
13 Mar 2009 08:35 #271577 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Help me understand what they do....
Don't forget the disadvantages offered by pods. Aside from the obvious difficulty/expense in tuning carbs to compensate for airflow changes - problems with cross-winds and rain, additional stress on carb holders (more likely to create premature vacuum leaks) because rear of carbs are unsupported, side covers more likely to blow off at speed, more pain in the butt than single filter to clean (if K&N) and (if not K&N) more expensive to replace when dirty, less even airflow as they don't necessarily all get dirty at the same rate. Having said all that, some folks still love them - just like sissy bars. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
13 Mar 2009 11:30 - 13 Mar 2009 11:31 #271609 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic Help me understand what they do....
clutch wrote:

I can give you an idea about the pod filters. They give you less restricted air flow allowing more air (and in turn more fuel) into the engine for a better burn. They can increase both power and gas mileage. Using pod filters may require the need to "re-jet" your carbs (use bigger jets to allow more fuel flow) because they will most likely cause a lean mixture if you don't rejet.

The 4 in to 1 exhaust baffles me a bit. The way you get more power out of an engine is to increase both inflow and outflow. How a 4 in to 1 would create better flow than a 4 in to 2 or straight headers is beyond me, unless it creates ideal back-pressure (like a flowmaster exhaust would do for your car or truck).

Anyway, that's what I know about it, and unless anyone has better info than me, I think it is fairly accurate (but would like to learn more as well)

~Clutch

You don't want back pressure, you want scavenging and velocity.

Back pressure just lower the overall efficiency.

A 4 into 1 will scavenge better the 4 open pipes or a 2 into 1 because the previous exhaust pulse will help pull out the next one.
A well designed and sized exhaust can actually put a vacuum on the exhaust valve.

The size and length of the header pipes and collector vs. the size and power of the engine will dictate which RPM you get the optimum scavenging at.

Here is a good article about exhaust system design. It says it's for cars, but the same principles apply.

Popular Hotrodding-Exhaust Science Explained

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread
Last edit: 13 Mar 2009 11:31 by tachrev.

• l0g1c
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
13 Mar 2009 14:31 - 13 Mar 2009 14:34 #271648 by l0g1c
Replied by l0g1c on topic Help me understand what they do....
Not to muddy the waters, but I'm seeing some things contrary to what I believe.

I don't think pods will give you better gas mileage. More air, more fuel, more power, sure. It defies logic that you could get better fuel economy as well, unless something was off-kilter to begin with.

650ed got the disadvantages spot on. An advantage that I haven't seen posted is that it makes pulling carbs easier, but I'll let you weigh that against the disadvantages.

As far as the exhaust goes, running an unrestricted exhaust will get you some horsepower in the higher RPM's, but it robs the lower RPM's of it.

A 4-1 pipe will run hotter and will benefit from the flow of the other cylinders. I usually hear "scavenge" in terms of a 2-stroker, but I suppose it makes sense in this context as well.

I'm as fallible as the next guy though, so it won't hurt my feelings if someone corrects me. :laugh:

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE
Last edit: 13 Mar 2009 14:34 by l0g1c.

More
13 Mar 2009 14:57 #271654 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Help me understand what they do....
Just a couple of tweeks. Pods will also make getting the rack of carbs in and out of the bike easier. BUT if you have the airbox and new soft boots (connector hoses)this point is moot. IMO they also create a few headaches such as crosswinds leaning out the carbs and riding in the rain.

Unrestricted exhaust poses another problem. It attracts flashing lights. There are towns around here where they are enforcing a noise control legislation. Only stock mufflers are permitted and you will be ticketed. Plus if it is registered and inspected in this state you will have to get it to an official state inspection station who will only OK it if it has original exhaust. BUT, they do not seem to be fully enforcing it. The seem to only be harassing the obnoxiously loud exhausts. ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
13 Mar 2009 16:25 #271679 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Help me understand what they do....
basically pods are less restrictive allowing a greater amount of air in and 4 into 1 exhaust are the most efficient way of getting air out....in the internal combustion engine , getting air in and out as quickly and efficiently as possible is the name of the game ... there are a lot of sidebars and variables, but this is the big picture....just my .02.....keith

More
13 Mar 2009 16:42 #271683 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Help me understand what they do....
In the January 1983 issue of Cycle World Technical Editor Steve Anderson takes on the topic of intake and exhaust modifcations in the article "In Search of the Free Lunch". It runs six full pages and a column on the seventh. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to scan it and pass it along.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
13 Mar 2009 17:56 #271695 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Help me understand what they do....
Quick add, 4-1 exhausts are generally lighter than stock exhausts, cost less, and sometimes allow better cornering clearances. G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
13 Mar 2009 18:00 #271697 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Help me understand what they do....
Hi SouPortugues,

Most folks who opt for pods do so because after struggling to get their carbs out past old stiff boots decide that it just plain easier to dump the airbox and go for pods for the reinstall. My bet is that a great new business would be one that could claim that "We make any new supple intake boots to fit your 30 year old bike."

On the exhaust side:

After market four into one and four into two systems are lighter than stock systems. While they can provide power benefits, most folks install them because stock systems are not available after the stock system either rusts out or gets damaged in a crash.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
13 Mar 2009 18:43 #271711 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Help me understand what they do....
the 4-1 pipe if designed properly allows for better exhaust scavanging, in short the flow from one exhaust will actually help pull the exhaust from the other pipes.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE