Correct ID Fuel Line for '76 Kz900-A4 Carb/Petcock

• DoubleDub
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2009 18:12 #270468 by DoubleDub
Does anyone know offhand what fuel line size is correct for the 76 Kz900? I don't have any of the original line left and need to get some clear line to replace it. Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2009 18:27 #270473 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Correct ID Fuel Line for '76 Kz900-A4 Carb/Petcock
1/4" ID is what you need...

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
08 Mar 2009 18:36 #270476 by gane
DD, Believe dia. is 1/4". Can-not rec. clear line. nor indeed automotive standard. Clear lines harden in short order, automotive require massive/awquard clamps to seal. strongly rec. a quality inline filter. which will require inventive routing, and thin wall rubber fuel line. lines which kink with heat/ shifting can cause frown lines, make it an easy in-out. chances are you'll be there again. G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

• DoubleDub
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2009 08:50 - 09 Mar 2009 08:50 #270580 by DoubleDub
Thanks Jeff and Gane.

Even clear fuel line will harden? I was under the impression that the clear line that was specific for fuel use would stand up better. That's a real bummer.

I have to say of all the things I hate dealing with the fuel line routing the most. :dry: I was really hoping the clear line would be better so I can visually inspect flow. I didn't want to get a clear plastic fuel filter since those have been problematic for me as well, but I would be able to see flow through the filter with non-clear lines that way.

Bummer.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2009 08:50 by DoubleDub.

More
09 Mar 2009 08:59 #270583 by MFolks
Tygon makes a yellow fuel line that's rated for oil and gasoline. It's supposed to be very flexible and resistant to hardening.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
09 Mar 2009 11:49 #270615 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Correct ID Fuel Line for '76 Kz900-A4 Carb/Petc
The tygon line is yellow initially but after running fuel, it starts to darken and turn the color of... errrr brown. Any line you can see through will discolor after awhile. While the black 1/4" auto hose isn't sexy, it looks the best after a year or so and is least prone to kinking and cutting off fuel flow.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
09 Mar 2009 12:14 #270619 by RonKZ650
Any hose that is not real rubber is not worth using. Any clear, yellow ect that is more or less plastic hose will always harden and discolor. Fuel hose is a real pain because all automotive stores sell is high pressure hose, so you get a 1/2" outside diameter you don't need and really don't want because it takes up too much space. I got some Tygon hose and was not real happy with it as it was grey in color and seemed really too spindly as it kinked real easily. I put this hose on 2 of the 650s, the one I ride all yr around it lasted maybe 2 yrs and started cracking and leaking, the other sits covered in the garage and I only rode it twice in 2 years and it also started leaking. After that I got a 25' length of Samar fuel line at bikebandit.com. It's black and is working great but 25' is around $45.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• DoubleDub
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2009 12:36 #270622 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Correct ID Fuel Line for '76 Kz900-A4 Carb/Petc
Thanks for the info - good to know!