Slow to warm up

More
07 Mar 2009 17:49 #270275 by SuperTrey
Slow to warm up was created by SuperTrey
Bone stock 78 kz1000

I just replaced the points/condensors and added the relay to the system that wiredgeorge suggests. Bike starts fine and runs strong, better i might add than before the relay. Timing is spot on. plugs and boots in good condition.

It seems to take a little longer to warm up to the point it will idle smoothly without babying the throttle. 3-5 miles of riding highway speed, but then idles smooth as it always has. Seems like it was warming up a little faster a few weeks ago, but it is hard to tell, since my daily drive takes me out of the driveway, onto the highway and I don't slow down again for 12 miles, and always idled fine by then.

Is this just "cold natured" and I haven't ever noticed it before because of the drive into town?

Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2009 18:05 #270281 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Slow to warm up
Trey, Mid 70's bikes were jetted lean for emissions even in the day, and even moderate temps required a minute or so before head temp came up enough for happy idle. It was easy to tell when operating temp was achieved, as idle speed would pick up @ 500 rpm. Riding before then, depending on amient temp. could take miles. moderatly dirty pilot jets would make idle mix even leaner, and emphasise poor response until good and warm. G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
07 Mar 2009 20:08 #270309 by SuperTrey
Replied by SuperTrey on topic Slow to warm up
Thanks for the info! I figured this might be the case, and just taking short runs this last couple of weeks I finally noticed it.

More
08 Mar 2009 17:37 #270453 by lewisj
Replied by lewisj on topic Slow to warm up
Trey,
I had the same problem with my 73 z1, header and pods are the only upgrades. After talking with the guys at Z1 Enterprises at Mid-Ohio last year they suggested lowering the clip on the needle in the carbs one notch, therefore raising the needle. Bike warmed right up and idled like a dream. Just a thought is all else fails.
Jim

1973 Z1
1075cc MTC kit
Andrews 3X cams
ZRX 1200 swingarm

Vance&Hines header/ exhaust
29mm smoothbores w/pods
ZR7S 41mm Front Forks with 17" wheels

More
08 Mar 2009 17:50 #270458 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Slow to warm up
I have heard that going to thicker oil or synthetic oil will make it take longer to warm up. Never heard that changing the points would.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Mar 2009 17:52 #270460 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Slow to warm up
gane wrote:

Trey, Mid 70's bikes were jetted lean for emissions even in the day, and even moderate temps required a minute or so before head temp came up enough for happy idle. It was easy to tell when operating temp was achieved, as idle speed would pick up @ 500 rpm. Riding before then, depending on amient temp. could take miles. moderatly dirty pilot jets would make idle mix even leaner, and emphasise poor response until good and warm. G

yep, nature of the beast......