I hate carburators!

More
07 Mar 2009 17:23 #270271 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic I hate carburators!
Note for Otto... The Z1R was a 78 model and didn't have an accelerator pump. They were perhaps a bit easier to tune and rejet from my experience, than the 28 pumpers. Most of the pumpers pumps don't work or are misadjusted and this kind of makes them very lean non-pumpers. All the Kaw carburetors after 1977 were too darn lean and it just leaner and leaner from 77 till 80.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2009 17:33 - 07 Mar 2009 17:37 #270273 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic I hate carburators!
Fugitive wrote:

The pods do not have any markings on them. They look like K and N filters, but probably are knock offs.

If there knock offs there junk. I had emgo's and they were crap. Zero filtration and they surged constantly. I had to jet so high to overcome the way lean condition. Now with real K&N's I found a happy point for my 29's. I am using 127.5 mains. I think my pilots are 25's. needles are in the center.(my bike seems to love this combo) Anyways, no issues... clean burn and plugs look perfect. Pipes havn't blued either. I do have a warm climate to fight with also. Not sure about your ignition situation. I am running a stock point plate.

Oops....I see you have stock carbs. I believe they were 28 pumpers on that bike. All bets off. 28 pumpers are a pain in the royal Canadien bacon. I would pick George's mind from here on out.:woohoo:
Last edit: 07 Mar 2009 17:37 by arai59.

More
08 Mar 2009 19:34 #270489 by Fugitive
Replied by Fugitive on topic I hate carburators!
I had installed Accel coils last year and assumed that I had a good spark. Thanks to yall's advice I rewired the coils through a relay and the bike starts and idles better. I had been trying to adjust the carbs to compensate for a weak spark. Now I will go back and try to retune the carbs. Hopefully I will eventually get more time in the seat than time working on the darn thing. Thanks for all yalls advice.

'79 KZ1000ST