Solving Leaking Needle Valve Carburetor Problems

• greaseyfingers
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Feb 2009 15:39 #268535 by greaseyfingers
Solving Leaking Needle Valve Carburetor Problems was created by greaseyfingers
A Remedy For Stopping A Leaking Carburetor Float Needle Valve And Seat, on my 76 Kawasaki KZ 900 and 79 Kawasaki KZ 1000 ST.

Do you know what causes gasoline to drip out of the over flow drain tube of your carburetor?

The short answer is that a tiny piece of dirt is, most likely, stuck in the needle and seat of the float valve, preventing the valve from fully seating. Or else your float valve may need to re-adjusted to obtain a correct fuel level in your carburetor's float bowl. Or if your if your carburetor's needle valve and seat are excessively worn, they may start leaking and need to be replaced.

However, I'd like to give you a bit more background on this important question. I used to think that the float valve in the carburetor operated like the float valve in the tank of a toilet: i.e., when water in the tank got low (as in after flushing), the valve would open until the tank filled and then close again. However, it is important to realize that (unlike our toilet tanks) the needle in the carburetor float valve is always closed, while the fuel level in the float bowl is being maintained. What varies is the pressure that the carburetor float exerts on the needle: relatively high as the fuel level increases, and relatively low as the fuel level decreases.

This means that the fuel pressure (on the inlet side of the valve) is working in constant equilibrium, as it's equalizing with the pressure exerted by the float valve needle (on the carburetor side of the valve), so that a very constant level is maintained in the float chamber.

Understanding that the needle of the float valve is always being pressed against the seat is important in understanding why any tiny bit of dirt can cause so much trouble. Once a piece of dirt gets caught between the needle and the seat, it will be held there and interfere with the needle valve's ability to control the fuel level, until such time as fuel is drained from the carburetor and the piece of dirt is flushed away. This is the reason for the flushing procedure of the fuel system, by removing the drain plug from the bottom of the float bowl and let enough fuel run out. Which will usually rinse off the the debris that is on the needle valve and seat, providing the debris is small enough to go through the needle valve seat orifice, as the fuel is draining out of the float bowl drain screw hole.

To help prevent this problem from happening, again. It's advisable to put a good reliable inline fuel filter between your gas tank and carburetors to keep your fuel system as clean as possible that's going to your carburetor's float valve and seat. Which will, also, prevent other problems from occurring in your carburetor, too, from dirty fuel.

In addition to dirt causing the valves to stick open, I have seen a few cases where the brass seat of the float valve needs to be polished (smoothed out) by pressing and rotating a short, sharply pointed hardwood dowel into its small orifice. Dowels of 3/16” diameter work well. I have even had to clean up brand new seats in this fashion before they would stop leaking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2009 16:15 #268540 by RonKZ650
You're not exactly right there. The floats do work just like a toilet. The seat is stationary in the carb, the needle is held against the seat shutting of fuel when the level is high enough, when the level drops the float drops letting the needle drop allowing gas to fill until the float rises shutting of gas. Yes there is a little spring in the needle giving a little give/take in the system. Take a carb off suspend it upside down with the bowl off and move the float up/down with your fingers and see what I mean. The needle drops quite a ways when the bowl is empty. Of course the fuller the bowl is gradually the needle closes against the seat shutting off the gas. There's nothing more to it than that, just a simple float valve just like a toilet. Still dirt between the seat and needle will definately cause the leaks regardless. Need a clean seal to seal completely.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
27 Feb 2009 19:23 #268572 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Solving Leaking Needle Valve Carburetor Problems
The real reason carbs will seep gas out the overflow pipe is basically: GRAVITY

If the petcock valve does not seal perfectly, there will be gas seeping down which the carburetor needle valve will be trying to stop..... but, in the end, it's a steel needle against a brass seat so it will seep some gas with time.

The best way to get a needle valve to seal is to take the thing ut and polish the conical tip in a hand drill until it is dead smooth and also polish the brass seat area it mates with. That typically willl give the best seal, but you still need to shut off the petcock for extended sitting or gravity will push gas past the needles eventually and you will smell it in the garage.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
28 Feb 2009 10:38 #268673 by RonKZ650
Just for info, I remember reading this before. Come to find out 3 out of 4 of the original posters posts have been this exact same explanation of how the floats work which is still all wrong all 3 times.:)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.