Custom Throttle Cables

More
23 Feb 2009 15:29 #267539 by KawiConvert
Custom Throttle Cables was created by KawiConvert
Does anyone know of a way to get the ends on for custom throttle cables? I looked at motion pro, but they want 35.00 per cable for custom. I need to make new throttle cables for my bike and for my dirtbike as well. Downfall of blending parts in from other bikes.

Thanks,
KC

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2009 00:22 #267677 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic Custom Throttle Cables
Just got 2 throttle cables from Z1. Custom lenght, GPz550 +10cm/4". It´s $35 each but do you really have an option?

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
24 Feb 2009 00:58 #267679 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Custom Throttle Cables
KawiConvert wrote:

Does anyone know of a way to get the ends on for custom throttle cables? I looked at motion pro, but they want 35.00 per cable for custom. I need to make new throttle cables for my bike and for my dirtbike as well. Downfall of blending parts in from other bikes. Thanks, KC

Years ago it was common practice to make up our own cables with whatever outer and inner length desired. Different size cables in "bulk" were readily available as were various sizes and styles of cable end fittings.

Some of the end fittings attached with a set screw in the fitting that jammed into the cable running througn the fitting. But most were built in my neck of the woods by using an end fitting that had a small hole on one side just barely large enough to fit the cable through, and a larger "funnel" hole on the other side where the cable exited.

The idea was to separate and spread the cable fibers within the funnel hole, and then use solder (butane torch) to fill the hole in and around the spread cable fibers so as to prevent them from pulling back out. Grind things smooth to complete the job. The fittings were usually brass, so too much heat such as from a welding torch risked melting the fitting. I don't think the solder stuck very well to the cable strands, but did stick to the end piece inside the funnel, and served to keep the strands spread out.

Imo, the relatively inexpensive modern cables are built so much better and last so much longer that the diy versions, it's not worth goofing around with the old way where the fitting attachment was unreliable (especially in front brake cable applications, and less critical clutch cable applications).

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
26 Feb 2009 14:33 #268263 by KruZer
Replied by KruZer on topic Custom Throttle Cables
If you're looking for the brass barrel ends I have both the solder and screw on types.
I could tell you where I get them but then I'd have to "do you in".
Let me know what type you need and I'll send you a couple.

Buzz

*1977 1000, 1975 KZ998 LSR bike.

More
26 Feb 2009 20:17 #268363 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Custom Throttle Cables

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)