Air Filter mod

More
11 Feb 2009 19:25 - 11 Feb 2009 19:26 #263930 by poolboy
Air Filter mod was created by poolboy
Back in 2005 Philcsand wrote an article with the title of
" Making Power with Air ".

Its in the Tech section.

It sounds like a very well thought out air filter mod. Also easy enough to do.

Can anyone shed any light on this, maybe someone around who has done the mod.

1980 KZ750H ,WG's carb rebuild, V&H 4-1 Exh ,WG wiremod, Dyna 3.0 ohm coils, Dyna-S EI DS2-2,New Bridgestones, O-ring Chain,
Last edit: 11 Feb 2009 19:26 by poolboy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2009 20:12 #263941 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Air Filter mod
Let me start my rebuttal to that article by disagreeing with the stated premise: “So, the more we can do to open the airways, the more power we can produce.” This overlooks the dynamics of fuel/air flow, venturi effect (fuel/air velocity), etc. If this statement was true, you could simply pull everything off the back of the carbs and power would jump, but it just ain’t so. Adding air won’t buy you much, and will cost you power, if the proper relative proportion of fuel isn’t maintained. Removing all air restriction doesn’t change the carbs’ ability to flow fuel, the intake valves’ ability to flow fuel/air mixture, the cam or ignition timing, exhaust dynamics, or any of the many other things that go into producing power. Think about it, if Kawasaki Heavy Industries, with all their millions of $$ for R&D and their numerous talented engineers could have been more competitive with Suzuki, Honda, et al by simply cutting the tube off the air cleaner retainer and punching a hole in the bottom of the airbox don’t you think they would have done it? I’m not saying that it’s impossible to induce more power from a KZ engine than came from the showroom floor, otherwise the Eddie Lawson’s of the day would have been on box stock bikes. I am saying that it takes more thought and engineering than simply punching a hole in the airbox. If you do decide to try the mod, before you modify anything run your the bike on a dyno and tune it up so it’s producing the published power for your year/model (believe me, stock 750 4s were fast bikes when new), then get a spare airbox to cut up, do the mod, and run it on the dyno again. If you get more power, let us know; if not, replace the original airbox. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 Feb 2009 00:21 #264058 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Air Filter mod
so where is this mod ?B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
12 Feb 2009 06:20 - 12 Feb 2009 06:21 #264100 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Air Filter mod
Here is Making power with air . Interesting...

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Last edit: 12 Feb 2009 06:21 by Bluemeanie.

More
12 Feb 2009 08:01 #264132 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Air Filter mod
yeah 26mm smooth bores are very rare!:laugh: how about a picture of the modded airbox to help me visualize this B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
12 Feb 2009 08:11 #264135 by poolboy
Replied by poolboy on topic Air Filter mod
I think 650ed is right, the prudent thing to do would be to pick up another air box to modify and if things did'nt go well it could be brought back to original condition.

I did what I thought was a pretty good search about this and did'nt find much info, which lead me to believe it was'nt a popular mod, or it would have been all over the forum. But I wanted to know if anyone had tried it, and the best way is to ask this forum.
Thanks gents:) :) :) :)

1980 KZ750H ,WG's carb rebuild, V&H 4-1 Exh ,WG wiremod, Dyna 3.0 ohm coils, Dyna-S EI DS2-2,New Bridgestones, O-ring Chain,

More
12 Feb 2009 18:42 #264322 by 6leafclover
Replied by 6leafclover on topic Air Filter mod
I removed the "silencer" from my airbox but its a 1000-E1 not sure what other models have this silencer set up but it seems to flow better even if its just all in my head it at least makes a nice little whistle now when you really get on it almost like a turbo :woohoo:

1979 KZ1000-E1/ST
Madison, IN

More
12 Feb 2009 19:00 - 20 Feb 2013 19:06 #264334 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic -----

Last edit: 20 Feb 2013 19:06 by H1Vindicator.

More
13 Feb 2009 01:11 #264589 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Air Filter mod
PLUMMEN wrote:

yeah 26mm smooth bores are very rare!:laugh: how about a picture of the modded airbox to help me visualize this B)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
13 Feb 2009 09:48 #264673 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Air Filter mod
650ed and H1Vindicator are on top of this issue. Over on the ZRXOA board there are some pretty extensive discussions and a bunch of pics of airbox mods. A carefully modded box with a stock style high flow filter (like K&N) and rejetted carbs and a low restriction exhaust and better cams will produce more power. The guys who have done this have spent a great deal of time sorting this all out on dynos and racetracks. It works, but it is more complicated than just boring holes in the box.
If you are the curious type who loves to delve into new projects, this could be the perfect way to indulge yourself. You might want to search the ZRXOA postings to get an idea of where you will start. You might well end up with as much or more power than pods while keeping the stock look and without having to worry about water getting in where it does not belong while you are washing the beast.
If you do it, please post pics and updtates.B)

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough