New to KZ Rider and I have a newbie question

More
03 Feb 2009 23:35 #262078 by lowcash
First I want to say hello to everyone here on the site and I just plain love it!

I have a question about carburetors. I have a 1977 KZ 1000 A model with a stock engine, original exhaust and a set of Mikuni VM26SS carbs with stock jetting. I want to put either a Vance and Hines street megaphone or a Kerker 4-1 exhaust on my KZ. My question is, where do I get a stage 3 jet kit? I contacted Dynojet about their jet kits and they said that they only have jet kits for the 78' thru 80' KZ 1000s and it will not work on the earlier engines. So, what can I do about getting a kit? Is there something I can do to make the Dynojet kit work for my KZ?

I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2009 00:36 #262081 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic New to KZ Rider and I have a newbie question
Correct me if I´m wrong here but isn´t VM26SS a mechanical round-slide -carb. Dynojet Kits are,a s far as I know (whicn ain´t that far:P ), used on CV (vacuum operated slide) carbs like Mikuni BS34 .

Changing to a 4-1 (get a Kerker!!!) means that it´ll prolly run a little lean. Maybe you´ll be well off by raising needles a bit and gettin 1-2 steps bigger main jets.

Jets for example from www.z1enterprises.com/SearchResult.aspx?...yWords=mikuni%20jets

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
04 Feb 2009 01:45 #262084 by lowcash
Replied by lowcash on topic New to KZ Rider and I have a newbie question
Thanks for the info!

To give more info and to explain my ignorance, I am almost entirely an off road rider. Most of my knowledge is on dirt bikes so you will have to excuse me. Everyone that I have talked to regarding jetting tells me that I need a stage 3 jet kit for my bike.

As for Dyno Jet kits being for CV carbs, the early KZ 650 uses VM24SS carbs and Dyno jet offers a stage 3 kit for this model. The VM24SS is a mechanical slide carb right?

More
04 Feb 2009 06:32 #262108 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic New to KZ Rider and I have a newbie question
You don't need no stinkin' kit. Rule of thumb is up two sizes for each mod (exhaust, pod filters) and maybe one notch on the needles.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
04 Feb 2009 07:09 #262112 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic New to KZ Rider and I have a newbie question
You have been talking to the wrong people. Also, any carb assembly that requires rejetting, needs to be rejetted relative to its original characteristics. You don't need to rejet a 77 VM26SS to accommodate a pipe as those carbs are relatively rich. Install the pipe and take the bike to redline and you will note it will pull quite nicely. Later 26s off a 78 could use a bit of rejetting as they are miserably lean. I don't much subscribe to any "rule of thumb" because of the inherent difference between stock jetting. I would also caution against the use of DJ kits on older bikes. They don't do much research or tuning and tend to just put a jet needle into a box for a bunch of different models and some big main jets for their Stage 3 kit. While jet kits for modern sport bikes can be decently thought out, the older kits are not. If you ever need to rejet, just use the correct OEM jets.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
04 Feb 2009 15:55 #262217 by lowcash
Everyone thank you for all of your help!!!! Many people thank I talked to about jetting kept telling me about stage 3 kits. I would ask them, why can't I just install the pipe, test it and if it needs it I will rejet from there. To me that sounds like the most logical thing to do. However, I was told that it made things easier. Thanks to everyone here I know what to do.

Thank you!!

More
04 Feb 2009 16:28 #262223 by 650ed
Be careful not to damage the original exhaust system if you do replace it. If it's in good shape it's worth $$$$. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
04 Feb 2009 17:10 #262230 by lowcash
Oh don't worry I won't damage it. The reason why I'm changing it is beacause I like the sound of a 4-1 and the stock exhaust has a little rust on it. Not much but just a little.

More
04 Feb 2009 19:17 #262258 by MFolks
Supertrapp makes the 4 into 1 Kerker system. I think you can get one through www.z1enterprises or www.supertrapp.com

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)