78' kz1000 petcock question

More
23 Jan 2009 20:41 #259795 by codsack
78' kz1000 petcock question was created by codsack
Real quick question about the petcock thats supposed to be on a b2 kz1000. Is it supposed to be equipped with a vacuum assisted petcock or a gravity style?? I just got done rebuilding all the carbs and was adjusting float levels. Fuel was flowing out of 1 of the 2 holes at the backside of the carbs.....air filter side. I was just gravity feeding the carbs to fill em up, and I'm wonderin if I need a vacuum assisted petcock when I reinstall everything to prevent this when all is done and reistalled.

I have new float needles and seats and soaked the carbs in cleaner and blew out all the holes I could find. Any help would be cool....thank the fish.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2009 21:07 #259804 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 78' kz1000 petcock question
i believe the ltd bikes had the ol gravity feed while the kz had vacuam petcock in 78 B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
24 Jan 2009 07:20 #259851 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic 78' kz1000 petcock question
It's a manual petcock. Your carbs are still messed up somehow if gas is overflowing.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
24 Jan 2009 09:32 #259870 by codsack
Replied by codsack on topic 78' kz1000 petcock question
Yeah....i figured it was gravity fed petcock that goes on it.. I'm gonna look at the manual and see what passage goes to that one hole where the fuel is coming out, and see about blowing it out. thanks guys n I'll let ya know how it works out.

More
24 Jan 2009 09:37 #259871 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 78' kz1000 petcock question
floats hanging up?tap on float bowls and side of carbs with screwdriver handle.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
24 Jan 2009 13:41 #259933 by codsack
Replied by codsack on topic 78' kz1000 petcock question
Well....chaulk one up to my stupid mistake. Easy fix....Just fill the carbs up through the right hole. I have been building this bike for about a year and a half now and have just got to rebuildin the motor n carbs this past 2 months or so. I looked at the manual and thought that the fill hole on the carbs was the lil brass nipple, but I must have looked at it without my contacts in. It was pointin to the T fittin right above the bowl, which I forgot was what the lines hooked to. Prob. solved...maybe this will help the forgetful (like me) in the future. Thanks for all the help either way guys....got all the floats set just about right.....just about ready to fire it off now....yeehaw.

More
30 Jan 2009 18:34 #260996 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic 78' kz1000 petcock question
codsack wrote:

Well....chaulk one up to my stupid mistake. Easy fix....Just fill the carbs up through the right hole. I have been building this bike for about a year and a half now and have just got to rebuildin the motor n carbs this past 2 months or so. I looked at the manual and thought that the fill hole on the carbs was the lil brass nipple, but I must have looked at it without my contacts in. It was pointin to the T fittin right above the bowl, which I forgot was what the lines hooked to. Prob. solved...maybe this will help the forgetful (like me) in the future. Thanks for all the help either way guys....got all the floats set just about right.....just about ready to fire it off now....yeehaw.

so....howd ya make out?