carb ?..moved from engine forum....

More
23 Jan 2009 16:40 #259735 by keith1
carb ?..moved from engine forum.... was created by keith1
Re:small issue...need input 3 Hours, 48 Minutes ago
well it aint the tensioner....put motor at tdc for 1 and 4....tensioner turned real easy by hand ...turned it in about 4 turns...fired it up ...
cam chain is o k but it still wont idle right...also starts hard even with the choke...takes forever to get to the point where i can turn choke fully off......it will idle at 2k but if i start turning idle adjuster down, when it gets to about 1500 it just starts falling off...sounds like crap and dies....when i have been running it a while it will semi idle, but sounds like shit...there is definitely something wrong in idle circuit..
from 18-2000 rpm if you rev it, it revs freely and sounds excellent...no farts no stumbles....
i m gonna yank carbs this weekend...i have to at least give em a shot before i send them out...
when bike was apart, i went up one size on pilots
but they were way too rich so i put old ones back in....i did change out the pilot screws with some k and l ones i had....i noticed the
screws had a different taper than the old ones..i didnt think it would matter...but it might....gonna put old ones back in, check for rough synch, give em a once over and probably end up sending them out anyhow!! funny thing is these carbs actually ran pretty good before.... .....thanks...keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
23 Jan 2009 16:59 #259742 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic carb ?..moved from engine forum....
i just went through mine two months ago and the same type problem on my idle circuits arose when i got er back together,,so the second time off...after the guys chimed in and gave me tips....,i went through everything i could remove from the bowls and mix screws with cleaner and some "fine and finer copper wire"in every hole and passage like a pipe cleaner in a dish of carb cleaner while being((((((super carful )))))))not to snap a wire off in a tight hole and really ran em back and forth till smooth.... reassembled .............and the bike fires right up one touch of the start button...crisp...comes off choke in seconds and pulls better than it ever did...i got somthing cuaght in there the first time...or lodged somthing in there way better by spraying cleaner in and trying to blow em out with a compressor.....i thought i was screwed..somthign else big had gone wrong... but it took a hour and thats my story,,,,peace

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
23 Jan 2009 18:12 #259763 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic carb ?..moved from engine forum....
trianglelaguna wrote:

i just went through mine two months ago and the same type problem on my idle circuits arose when i got er back together,,so the second time off...after the guys chimed in and gave me tips....,i went through everything i could remove from the bowls and mix screws with cleaner and some "fine and finer copper wire"in every hole and passage like a pipe cleaner in a dish of carb cleaner while being((((((super carful )))))))not to snap a wire off in a tight hole and really ran em back and forth till smooth.... reassembled .............and the bike fires right up one touch of the start button...crisp...comes off choke in seconds and pulls better than it ever did...i got somthing cuaght in there the first time...or lodged somthing in there way better by spraying cleaner in and trying to blow em out with a compressor.....i thought i was screwed..somthign else big had gone wrong... but it took a hour and thats my story,,,,peace

craig,
i ve decided to send them to george...it wasnt without some deliberation due to monetary costs...
i will get back carbs that are clean inside and out and should be good to go...i had my friend go through them last summer and although he did a decent job, i m dealing with 30 year old carbs that i m sure need the help of a pro...there are a lot of little parts that can affect performance and my neandertal approach probably wont cut it....lol...plus i can spend time with my daughters instead of smelling like
gas,which has been my lot at work being designated
snow-blower tech dujour.....i got em running though!!...thanks for the input....keith