Running Rich

• bubbap
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Ride it like you stole it!
More
23 Jan 2009 11:32 #259655 by bubbap
Running Rich was created by bubbap
Ive been riding my KZ650 everyday there isn't snow or rain on the streets. Its a short trip to work and back, and because its in the 50s and 60s I ride around out of town after work and the weekends. Ive noticed as well as people behind me, my bike is running rich. This was the case before and after I changed the jetting. I have the mains at 107.5 and the idles at 17.5. I did this on recomendations from this forum. When I did it brought some serious power to my ride. Before I was simply keeping up with my brother in laws bike, now I blow him away. What can I do to even out the mixture, can I get more air through the carbs. or do I have to rejet to something lower.
Spec: Factory Mikuni Carbs. 1979 KZ650
stock motor,
cant remember the plug numbers I believe they are one stage hotter than stock.
Wired George Conversion for the coils,
Dyna ignition coils and electronic ignition.
I believe the timing is set at 23 degrees.

She runs awsome, always starts cold, I think she sometimes actually likes the cold. Always starts first kick. Any help would be great. I have received a lot oh help from you guys and I really appreciate it.
Thanks,

1979 KZ650, Mac 4-2 exhaust. Restored after 25 years of sitting. Dyna elec coils, ignition. As old as I am, been in the family since new.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2009 12:15 #259672 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Running Rich
If not already done, would check fuel levels in float bowls, using the clear tube method.

A too high fuel level can produce an overly rich mixture even with an otherwise perfect carb.

And am presuming that sparkplug wires/caps were also replaced with new parts such as Dyna solid metal core wires pre-equipped with caps already built in (relatively expensive and available from Z1E).

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Jan 2009 12:17 #259673 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Running Rich
Also presuming good clean clear free-breathing air filter(s) :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Jan 2009 14:15 #259698 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Running Rich
Are you running stock air box? I saw in your sig that you have MAC 4-2 exhaust, that shouldn't flow any more than stock exhaust. If you're running the stock airbox the jetting you have sounds to me like it'd be too rich.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• bubbap
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jan 2009 16:09 #259725 by bubbap
Replied by bubbap on topic Running Rich
Sorry forgot to mention I am using four individual K&N air filters, not the knock offs. This was a restoration project I completed in June Last year, all plugs, wires, are new. I did the clear tube method to set my floats.

1979 KZ650, Mac 4-2 exhaust. Restored after 25 years of sitting. Dyna elec coils, ignition. As old as I am, been in the family since new.

More
23 Jan 2009 20:01 #259786 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Running Rich
hmmmmm...your jetting is way lean compared to what I was running with pods and MAC exhaust. I was running 117.5 mains, and 17.5 pilots before she was happy. Where do you have your needle clipped? Do you know at what fuel circuit it's running rich? Only way to tell for sure is to do plug chops on all three circuits (idle, mid range, and top end). You might just be running rich on the needle (mid range) and might find that you're lean on the top end...

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
23 Jan 2009 22:03 - 23 Jan 2009 22:14 #259819 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Running Rich
bubbap wrote:

She runs awsome, always starts cold, I think she sometimes actually likes the cold.

That is the most accurate test for knowing it's too rich.

You might try going back down on the jets and increase them one size at a timee until you just get the peak performance.

With pods on, the needle taper may be wrong no matter what you do to the jets. Are the needles in stock position?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 23 Jan 2009 22:14 by bountyhunter.

More
24 Jan 2009 07:14 #259849 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Running Rich
What makes you think your bike is running rich? Have you actually looked at the spark plugs? Look at the plugs and let us know what type and heat range plugs you are using.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• bubbap
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Jan 2009 11:51 - 24 Jan 2009 11:52 #259897 by bubbap
Replied by bubbap on topic Running Rich
My plugs are black, the exhaust pipes inside are black. My brother in law, a real motor guy says I am running rich from mid to top end. He says he can smell the gas really bad at top end. Some local people here say it should be running faster than it is even now. I believe the needle is in the 2nd from the top.
Thanks

Last edit: 24 Jan 2009 11:52 by bubbap.

More
24 Jan 2009 12:52 #259919 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Running Rich
bubbap wrote:

My plugs are black, the exhaust pipes inside are black. My brother in law, a real motor guy says I am running rich from mid to top end.

Well, that's the main jet territory. If you have the stock pipes, you may just be over jetted on the mains?

1979 KZ-750 Twin