Securing jet (screws)

More
12 Jan 2009 19:10 #257578 by dnpurdy
Securing jet (screws) was created by dnpurdy
Hey, so last season after taking my carbs all apart to clean them, one of my jets came unscrewed and dropped into the carb float bowl.

I'm doing some tiny bit of cleaning this winter and was wondering if there was an agreed upon way of securing the jets in place. Since they are the soft brass, I feels like they could be over-torqued very easily. Can you use blue loctite? would that work in such a gas-heavy environment?

If not, is there any other way i can make sure that I don't get another dropped jet. It's a real pain to correct when it happens and isn't obvious right away when it does.

(1980 KZ440-A1 sold project bike)
(1982 KZ750-N1 still stolen)
1982 KZ750-N1, my only now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2009 21:59 - 12 Jan 2009 22:03 #257602 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Securing jet (screws)
I made a special screwdriver to tighten mine. Select one with the correct blade thickness then grind the width to the correct size. I have never had a jet come loose.

I don't think blue loctite would fare well submerged in gasoline with all it's various additives.

BTW, the first time I took mine out after factory installation, they were torqued to about a thousand foot pounds. The only danger when tightening is trashing the slot if you don't have a screwdriver that fits properly and most won't.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 12 Jan 2009 22:03 by bountyhunter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.