adjustments on a 200A info?

• iamwhoiam151
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jan 2009 03:00 #257196 by iamwhoiam151
adjustments on a 200A info? was created by iamwhoiam151
my 77' kz200a starts up right away and will run good with choke on, as it warms it starts to flood out with or without choke.with no experiance or knowlage about this i need info on air fuel adjustments. if some one can help i'll be most gratefull.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2009 12:46 #257516 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic adjustments on a 200A info?
What makes you think the carburetor is "flooding" when the bike warms? Let's see if we can understand what is going on...

Bike starts and idles with choke on. When you take choke off, it dies if you give it throttle? Am I reading your question right?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• iamwhoiam151
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jan 2009 04:40 #257625 by iamwhoiam151
Replied by iamwhoiam151 on topic adjustments on a 200A info?
While the choke is on it will idle at 3000 until it gets to operating temp then it will spudder and die. it will start once or twice again without giving it throttle and choke on. at anytime during this warm up i move choke any it die. i've made my own cars run all my life and relize it'll die if i unchoke before its warmed up. i however am a virgin rider and know very little about these bikes. when it is running you can smell that it is running rich. also a week prior i was cruzing up and down my street for hours and it ran great. only info left that may help is before me it sat in a garage for 18 years. a family member that has rode all is life cleaned the carb real good twice and the tank and feul cock. a million thanks for responding, i need all the help i can get.

More
13 Jan 2009 05:22 #257629 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic adjustments on a 200A info?
If not already done, would first assure valve clearances being to specs and existence of a good fat properly timed spark, before addressing carbs.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 Jan 2009 06:55 #257638 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic adjustments on a 200A info?
Sounds like the pilot jet or pilot circuit is obstructed.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• iamwhoiam151
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jan 2009 15:18 #257710 by iamwhoiam151
whether the timeing is right i'm not sure, but i did put new plug and battery in it. how is the timeing checked?

• iamwhoiam151
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jan 2009 15:21 #257711 by iamwhoiam151
would it be better to kit the carb or buy a new or used

More
13 Jan 2009 16:31 #257721 by Patton
iamwhoiam151 wrote:

whether the timeing is right i'm not sure, but i did put new plug and battery in it. how is the timeing checked?

Supposed to see a good fat spark when viewed with the spark plug removed and held against the engine (ignition switched ON, tranmission in neutral, and using starter motor or kick starter to spin engine over, same as if attempting to crank it up, but with the plug removed).

Timing is best checked with a timing light while the engine is running, called "dynamic" timing as opposed to "static" timing with engine not running. Should also be able to watch the automatic timing advancer unit operate back and forth as rpm's are varied by blipping the throttle. Sometimes the advancer get sticky from lack of lubrication or need for cleaning.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 Jan 2009 16:52 - 13 Jan 2009 17:14 #257725 by Patton
iamwhoiam151 wrote:

would it be better to kit the carb or buy a new or used

Am thinking wiredgeorge is likely correct about the pilot jet or pilot circuit still being obstructed. But carb replacement is usually not necessary. Sometimes replacing a really crusty inexpensive pilot jet is easier than cleaning it where the holes in it are easily damaged.

A too tight valve clearance can allow a cold engine to crank up and then cause the engine to die when it warms up. This is because the valves may be barely seating enough when cold and allowing sufficient compression for initial cranking. With insufficient clearance (gap), the expansion from heat no longer allows the valve to fully close against its seat, whereby the engine dies from loss of compression.

Many carbs have been wrongfully blamed when poor performance is actually due to poor compression or weak spark or improperly timed spark. Even a perfect carb cannot compensate for problems in these other components.

That's why it's a good idea to check the valve clearances and spark quality and ignition timing, including condition of points and point gap, before resorting to the carbs. Also air filter, ample clean fuel supply, and basically everything else, including fresh oil and filter, before resorting to the carbs.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 13 Jan 2009 17:14 by Patton.

More
13 Jan 2009 17:07 #257738 by Patton
Another possiblity for the "crank and run momentarily before dying" syndrome is fuel starvation. Meaning fuel is too slowly drizzling into and filling the carb float bowl. A full float bowl allows the engine to momentarily run and then quit until the carb float bowl again refills.

Fuel starvation may be caused by grit or crud inside the fuel tank collecting on and clogging the petcock tubes up inside the tank, dirty petcock screen, clogged petcock, dirty inline fuel filter, etc. Also possible fuel cap "vent" obstruction. And probably some other reasons not immediately comimg to mind.

Could remove and flush out fuel tank; remove, disassemble and clean petcock, replace in-line fuel filter; test run with fuel cap ajar (not snapped down tight) to test for clogged vent in cap.

Good Luck!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• iamwhoiam151
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jan 2009 19:20 #259494 by iamwhoiam151
Ok I removed tank again and cleaned and flushed it. I need to change the oil, so i removed the starter and removed timeing cover ( i believe that's what it is called) when i drained the oil it came out like it was water it was full of gas. I cleaned it real good. i saw were the timing marks are but i am unfamiliar with these, there is "F" and "T" marks and moving counter clockwise there are two markes about 3/4" down from "F" an "T". On the cover i also found the timing arrow. While i was at it i removed the carb and took it apart as much as possible, cleaned and inspected. I havent tried to start it yet as it was last nite that i got it back together enough to try and thought it be wise to wait till i was more awake incase i forgot something inportant. thanks again to you and wiredgeorge for all the help so far.

More
22 Jan 2009 19:36 - 22 Jan 2009 19:37 #259501 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic adjustments on a 200A info?
I don't know if this covers you year, or if you already have one, but here is a KZ200 service manual.

KZ200 manual
Last edit: 22 Jan 2009 19:37 by loudhvx.