Gasket material for intake boots?

More
07 Jan 2009 08:29 #256551 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Gasket material for intake boots?
100% silicone will not burn.put some anti seize on the screws before ya run them back in.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
07 Jan 2009 09:58 #256563 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Gasket material for intake boots?
I vote with Ron on the sealant. Yamabond, Kawasakibond, etc is actually Three Bond 1104 in a different tube. The new version of 1104 is 1194. The 1104 is still available but the supply is dwindling fast on distributors' shelves. Either will work equally as well.
I, personally, do not like silicone sealants anywhere near a bike. They have a tendency to form "grapes" if too much is used and when those grapes cure and then break off they can cause all kinds of problems in an engine.
My .02 worth....

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
07 Jan 2009 10:48 #256567 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Gasket material for intake boots?
FWIW... NEVER try to repair carb holders using any material and DO NOT use any type sealant. If the current carb holders don't seal, they are WORN OUT... that is, they are too old/hard to seal and need to be replaced. IF you try and go cheap on carb holders, you will find that replacing pistons actually costs a tad more and that is what you will be doing when you hole the pistons from an air leak in a carb holder(s).

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
07 Jan 2009 12:42 #256572 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Gasket material for intake boots?
Cheap fix will bite you! I'm with George on this. As for silicone I use it a lot but I only use it on motorcycles to keep the license plate from vibrating off. Yamabond IS superior.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
07 Jan 2009 13:28 #256580 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Gasket material for intake boots?
wiredgeorge wrote:

FWIW... NEVER try to repair carb holders using any material and DO NOT use any type sealant. If the current carb holders don't seal, they are WORN OUT... that is, they are too old/hard to seal and need to be replaced. IF you try and go cheap on carb holders, you will find that replacing pistons actually costs a tad more and that is what you will be doing when you hole the pistons from an air leak in a carb holder(s).

If you know a source for new intake holders for the old 750B twins, I would buy new ones. I couldn't find any. No sense buying used ones because they will be just as old and dried up as the ones I have.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
07 Jan 2009 13:42 #256582 by SPARKY47
Replied by SPARKY47 on topic Gasket material for intake boots?
Hey Bountyhunter,intake boots for the 750 twin?
tinyurl.com/7dudnq
number 10, luftfiltergummiB)

1980 KZ500 B2

More
07 Jan 2009 13:50 #256585 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Gasket material for intake boots?
Also 95% of all these intake boot problems are because pods were fitted and leverage and weight takes it's toll in short order. So if you use pods, either support the carbs somehow or buy several extra sets of intakes as you'll need them. Some guys don't have this issue, but my own experience anyhow.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
07 Jan 2009 15:30 #256598 by wiredgeorge
Ron has a point but I believe MOST carb holder problems are due to old age... even a nice looking carb holder at 10 years old becomes a whole lot less pliant. Look at the rubber bits that join the carbs to the airbox. Same issue but the thinner rubber used on the joining rubber bits makes the problem a lot more obvious. Using pods will shorten the life of carb holders if the carb rack is unsupported. Also using the WRONG carb holders will also cause the same type issues. Take the CV34 and BS34. Same outside diameter BUT the flanges are contoured different. There is a corresponding rib on the inside of the carb holder that catches the slot on the carb. Use the wrong carb holder and they tend to fair more quickly. They tend to seal fine while they live but they can also break over time.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
07 Jan 2009 15:30 #256599 by wiredgeorge
Ron has a point but I believe MOST carb holder problems are due to old age... even a nice looking carb holder at 10 years old becomes a whole lot less pliant. Look at the rubber bits that join the carbs to the airbox. Same issue but the thinner rubber used on the joining rubber bits makes the problem a lot more obvious. Using pods will shorten the life of carb holders if the carb rack is unsupported. Also using the WRONG carb holders will also cause the same type issues. Take the CV34 and BS34. Same outside diameter BUT the flanges are contoured different. There is a corresponding rib on the inside of the carb holder that catches the slot on the carb. Use the wrong carb holder and they tend to fair more quickly. They tend to seal fine while they live but they can also break over time.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
07 Jan 2009 15:47 #256602 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Gasket material for intake boots?
SPARKY47 wrote:

tinyurl.com/7dudnq

Actually, not looking for the rubber boots..... I thought we were all talking about the rubber "carb holders" (which I would call intake manifolds) between the carb and the engine. Those are the ones that turn rock hard from heating and cooling.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
07 Jan 2009 18:31 #256625 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Gasket material for intake boots?
bountyhunter wrote:

SPARKY47 wrote:

tinyurl.com/7dudnq

Actually, not looking for the rubber boots..... I thought we were all talking about the rubber "carb holders" (which I would call intake manifolds) between the carb and the engine. Those are the ones that turn rock hard from heating and cooling.

me too.B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
08 Jan 2009 06:01 #256687 by wiredgeorge
We have a trifecta!

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!