Pods or Modified Air Box

• supercharged
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Dec 2008 19:47 #254677 by supercharged
Pods or Modified Air Box was created by supercharged
My carbs were not acting right - fuel pump not working.... so I removed the carbs. In my normal way to make things go quicker... I cut the boots to the air box for quick removal.

Now my question. Should I:
- Replace the boots and run the modified air box and K&N as I was - I do like the look of the box and it was dialed in so jetting is OK... just a pain to squeeze the carbs back in place.

- Install Pod filters and increase the main and possibly one notch on the needle. - Easier to install...

This is a 1075 engine with 410 cams - stock 28mm carbs rejetted.

Here is an images with the box in place

Mike D
- 79 KZ1000 LTD Supercharged
- 80 KZ1000 1105cc Pridmore/Vetter tribute
- 79 Honda CBX
- 03 Z1000 Mod
- 80 KZ1000 LTD Modified
- 80 KZ1000 LTD PROJECT on Hold
- 78 KZ1000/900 - Street big block
- 78 KZ1000-NEEDS HELP!
- 80 CBX -Project STARTED
- 81 GPZ1100
- GSRX1200
- 80 CB750F supersport......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
More
25 Dec 2008 20:20 #254678 by eddiem
Replied by eddiem on topic Pods or Modified Air Box
I read on this site about turning the boots back over and sliding the carbs in then flip the boots over,it worked great for me.

1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
25 Dec 2008 20:30 #254679 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Pods or Modified Air Box
i went to pods becuase the box on my kz9 with removable boots was too tight on spacing, and hardend...i think someday i'm gonna run the one peice flex z-1 type box...a kz racer/builder years back said they were the best one out of all the years...that is one great 1000...the lines are great and the orig type look is great also...really nice...bravo

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
26 Dec 2008 05:38 #254705 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Pods or Modified Air Box
It's up to you. If you want to keep the box then get new boots and put them on the box. Then fold over the end that goes on the carbs on themselves. With new or soft boots this is easy. This gives you about an extra inch of clearance for the carb rack to be re-installed. Once the rack is in unfold the boots onto the carbs. It's actually very easy. I'm a believer in air boxes. But it is up to you. Some do well with pods. Some do not. Getting the airbox out (and back in if necessary) can be a bear too. GLuck

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
26 Dec 2008 05:42 #254706 by trianglelaguna
i'm surpried my emgo pods, smbore, and header actually (stk mtr)work after seeing the threads about em being a bitch for folks...there is alot of intake noise at some times...i hear around it though by now...Locozuna wrote:

It's up to you. If you want to keep the box then get new boots and put them on the box. Then fold over the end that goes on the carbs on themselves. With new or soft boots this is easy. This gives you about an extra inch of clearance for the carb rack to be re-installed. Once the rack is in unfold the boots onto the carbs. It's actually very easy. I'm a believer in air boxes. But it is up to you. Some do well with pods. Some do not. Getting the airbox out (and back in if necessary) can be a bear too. GLuck

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
26 Dec 2008 06:20 #254711 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Pods or Modified Air Box
It's not that they won't work. Some people would not run anything but pods and have good luck with them. I wasn't so lucky. Some are susceptible to wet weather and need bags so they don't suck up water. Some produce lean-outs with side winds. Mine would lean-out when passing trucks or just riding side by side with cars on freeways. I've found that the cheaper ones tend to deteriorate and can fall off when the glue lets go. That discovery will not make your day. Mine lasted 3 months. I looked down after a ride and was missing a pod. I tried another one and with a little twist it came off in my hand. I bought the K&N's same day. Best deal is if you want pods get the better ones anyway but the price difference is eye opening.
The sucking sound is funny. I remember when we went to see the 900. They guy had the full box and snorkel on it but the filter was breached. Gris started it up, revved it and wondered aloud if his nads were still there and had not been sucked into the engine and were hanging out of the exhaust. :pinch: :pinch: :S :pinch:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
26 Dec 2008 09:59 #254733 by trianglelaguna
yes the emgos were new from an e-bay seller and less than used k&ns were bidding for at that week...mine came apart when i was putting them on the first time! and could be spun off their boots with ease...i used some gorilla glue..wet both parts... and vey little glue..spun em a little and waited an hour..then clamped em on the carbs.. they are on good now, but probably not the best on the market...peace

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
26 Dec 2008 15:55 #254766 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Pods or Modified Air Box
trianglelaguna wrote:

yes the emgos were new from an e-bay seller and less than used k&ns were bidding for at that week...mine came apart when i was putting them on the first time! and could be spun off their boots with ease...i used some gorilla glue..wet both parts... and vey little glue..spun em a little and waited an hour..then clamped em on the carbs.. they are on good now, but probably not the best on the market...peace

i had emgos....fell apart like yours...put the old
k and ns on.....came across the ones snitz racing sells....i was impressed...k and n quality and a set of 4 with a breather pod was around 55 bucks...waayyy better than emgos for not much more...
the new ones are on bench and will be going on soon....