The big bog

More
13 Jan 2009 18:05 - 19 Jan 2009 14:23 #257749 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic The big bog
fredgarvin42 wrote:

Power is there with the key on. If I check with my meter I get zero voltage across the positive and negative terminals. If I move the negative probe to the frame or any grounding point while leaving the positive probe on the positive coil terminal. I get a voltage meter right under 12v. Hopefully that was clearer than mud!

Am thinking the intermittant voltage readings across primary coil terminals is normal.

When ignition is ON, positive battery voltage goes to one coil terminal on each coil (i.e., one end of the primary winding). Let's call this the coil positive terminal.

The other coil terminal (i.e., other end of the primary winding) goes to ground via the igniter as it receives magnetic impulses from the pickup units underneath the points cover. Let's call this the coil negative terminal.

The igniter is in the circuit between the coil negative terminal and the pick-up units located underneath the points cover. The igniter receives magnetic pulses from the pick-up units to control grounding and ungrounding of the coil negative terminal through the igniter.

The coil is supposedly being charged up while current is flowing through the primary windings and reaching ground (i.e., battery positive voltage > coil positive terminal > coil primary winding > coil negative terminal > igniter > ground). That's when battery voltage appears beween the coil primary terminals, because the coil negative terminal is reaching ground through the igniter (as controlled by pulses from the pickup units).

Now -- when the coil negative terminal ground is interrupted by operation of the igniter as the igniter receives magnetic impulses from the pickup units under the points cover (this is supposed to happen), such loss of ground causes the coil to fire through the secondary winding and spark plug wires. While the ground remains interrupted, that's when battery voltage doesn't appear beween the coil primary terminals, because the coil negative terminal isn't reaching ground.

Then -- as the crankshaft turns, magnetic pulse from the the pick-up under the points cover causes the igniter to ground the coil negative terminal, which allows the coil primary winding to again recharge.

When kicking the engine over while measuring voltage between the coil terminals, I would suspect to see intermitant voltage readings as the coil negative terminal grounds, ungrounds, grounds, ungrounds, etc.

Yes indeedy, that's some real mud! :laugh:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 19 Jan 2009 14:23 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fredgarvin42
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jan 2009 09:13 #258229 by fredgarvin42
Replied by fredgarvin42 on topic The big bog
Thanks Patton! I feel like I completely understand my ignition now. Makes perfect sense. Looks like I could of done a bit of a better job at troubleshooting but now I understand the show. Thanks again.

I've installed the new Dyna-S ignition and green coils. I going to wrap it all up today or this weekend and will post the results.

1980 LTD 1000
1985 Ninja 600
1984 YZ 490

Austin,TX

More
16 Jan 2009 17:07 - 19 Jan 2009 14:27 #258313 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic The big bog
fredgarvin42 wrote:

...installed the new Dyna-S ignition and green coils....

I'm using the Dyna-S and green coils, and also opted for Dyna solid core plug wires which come with pre-attached caps. Am very well pleased with these Dyna ignition components on both Z1 and LTD. Hoping and expecting that you will also enjoy having them.

MaKaw's oem electronic ignition with the igniter is imo a good system when working as designed, in some ways superior to Dyna, but to my thinking more complex.

With the Dyna-S, there is no igniter, and the coil negative terminal grounds and ungrounds through action of the Dyna-S modules under the coil cover same as it did with the old opening and closing of points.

There's a pencil eraser size magnet embedded in the Dyna-S rotor that repeatedly passes by the modules as the crankshaft rotates. When the magnet gets to the module, the coil negative terminal is ungrounded (same as points opening).

When viewing the installed Dyna-S, the left-hand module is wired to the particular ignition coil which fires the two outside cylinders 1 and 4. The right-hand module is wired to the other coil which fires the two inside cylinders 2 and 3. All same as the old points system.

Good Luck! :)

P.S. The Dyna plug wires are relatively inexpensive and available at Z1E.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 19 Jan 2009 14:27 by Patton.

• fredgarvin42
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Jan 2009 10:31 #258771 by fredgarvin42
Replied by fredgarvin42 on topic The big bog
All good! Finished the wires and rode it all weekend. It rides great and the sputtering when cold problem also disappeared. It is a very well mannered scooter now! JOY!!!

Next. Fix an oil leak, ride, fix the starter, get a header, ride, etc...

Thanks for all your help!

Pics of the bike soon.

1980 LTD 1000
1985 Ninja 600
1984 YZ 490

Austin,TX