750 LTD jet size ??

More
22 Dec 2008 13:26 #254150 by MekonFear
750 LTD jet size ?? was created by MekonFear
kz750 LTD H4 1983 - US import ( to UK) :After spending most of the last 4 months unable to tackle the Z750, I've finally made start.
The carbs have been taken apart and fully cleaned and diaphragm hole repaired with plastidip.
As it already had pods on when I bought it so just replacing the pods. When I've checked the jets on the cv34's ( type 1's I believe) - the main is a 62 ( stock I think?) and the secondary main is 150! - it is stamped RD 150. Not being an expert on carbs, maybe that's right but trawling through some other threads, the suggestion seems to be for 138/140.
I've had it running and did find that the throttle was unresponsive and kicked in after a few seconds after opening up ( i've put this down to the mix/pilot screws being out of adjustment and have ordered 2 more NOS stock as the heads have gone on these) but maybe the jetting is too large/too rich.
Does anyone have experience of rejetting a 750 ltd with pods ( cheapo ones not K+Ns) with any advice to offer?

thanks in advance,
cheers.

Ben

Nottingham UK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2008 13:28 #254151 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 750 LTD jet size ??
Ben, What does the badge on the jet needles say? it will be Nxxx where the x's are numbers and letters I believe.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
22 Dec 2008 13:44 #254156 by MekonFear
Replied by MekonFear on topic 750 LTD jet size ??
Hi WG,

(was hoping you were on the airwaves...)

the jet needle is a n01a

Cheers

Ben

More
22 Dec 2008 16:17 #254194 by wiredgeorge
Those carbs are correct for an E3 or H4 model and if you are using pods, use a #140 secondary main jet and #70 main jet. Remove the pilot jets and clean them good and set the mixture screw to about 2 turns out from very lightly seated. That will be very close. If you need jets and don't want to shop here in the States, my friend Andy at NRP is very helpful and decently stocked. They are linked off my website (under links page) and their webpage is:

www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/

Tell them I recommended them! It is embarrassing to admit how many times I have had to go Brit to buy carb kits because they are out of stock at my North American distributor and they manufacture slide diaphragms (rubber) for any application I have ever checked on.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
23 Dec 2008 03:39 #254246 by MekonFear
Thanks WG,

(apologies if this message appears twice - my PC is doing strange things)

I've ordered a 70 main and 140 sec/main jet from NRP. Given that you haven't commented on it -is the jet needle ( n01a) ok to use with these jets?

Cheers/good Yule

Ben

More
23 Dec 2008 07:55 #254271 by wiredgeorge
Sure... They used several different jet needles with various CV34 assemblies. The N01A works well with the #70 main jet...

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
23 Dec 2008 10:48 #254287 by MekonFear
Great, Thanks WG.

Cheers

Ben