fuel line routing question

More
19 Dec 2008 21:49 #253626 by kz100078A2
fuel line routing question was created by kz100078A2
i bought a 78 1000,made 11/77,when i bought it,fuel lines are off of it among a few other items,anyway,need to know where to hook lines ,my petcock i think is a manual with two outlets side by side,have a main fuel line coming from carbs i think it is main line to supply carbs,it is has a t into two fittings on carbs,what about other outlet on petcock if supply line has a t into 2 lines,i guess 1/4 inch lines,question is, there are 2 t s on upper side of carbs between 1 and 2 and between 3 and 4 they are in lines that connect all carbs are these vac or fuel lines,the ts will rotate,they dont just look like vent lines??not my overflow tubes,i have 4 of them,raced motorcross,one carb no prob, 4 carbs tied together,guess i will learn with some help from friends,thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2008 04:00 - 20 Dec 2008 04:57 #253633 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic fuel line routing question
Hello Jeremy and WELCOME to KZr! :)
We're glad you're here! :cheer:

The pic below is a typical carb setup where equipped with a single fuel inlet. This one includes a separate vacuum port to operate a vacuum operated petcock. But many carb setups don't have this separate vacuum port.

Other setups use dual fuel inlets with one between 1-2 and another between 3-4.

With a twin outlet petcock, both outlets function the same. May use both outlets with two fuel lines to dual inlet carbs, or cap one off to run a single fuel line to single inlet carbs, or use both with lines into a T and a single from the T to carbs with a single fuel inlet. With a single outlet petcock and dual inlet carbs, use single line into a T and dual lines from the T to carbs.

When using only one outlet nipple of dual outlet petcock, a common vacuum plug may be fitted to cap off the unused nipple.

The carb vacuum port is used with a vacuum operated petcock. If using a manual petcock, the vacuum port should be capped off.

Factory routing of float bowl vent lines is to open air underneath the seat. But if desired they may be routed over the swingarm to hang underneath the bike.

On each carb holder between carbs and engine, there is a vacuum port nipple. These normally remain always capped off with vacuum plugs. The ports on the carb holders are used when syncing the carbs.

Good Luck! :)

[Click on image for larger view]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Dec 2008 04:57 by Patton.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
20 Dec 2008 06:22 #253642 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic fuel line routing question
it sounds to me like someone rigged your dual feeder lines to work as one(the tee) and that you have the seperarte fuel supply type...patton gave you all the info you'll need to deterimine if the type you have has two swiveling supply spiggots...now..... becuase you should replace the fuel line eventually ,,, and becuase you need some slack left to make gradual bends in the supply not kinks ,and becuase you should put a good FUEL FILTER(z1 enterprises.com)inline on each... and you will prob find that close to the space between the carbs is where the filter will splice best...this can all be a little learning process..... clamps ,locations ,and all, but will reward you with easier accesss by far than you have now....now for cleaning em....lol...peace

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
20 Dec 2008 13:44 #253715 by kz100078A2
Replied by kz100078A2 on topic fuel line routing question
hey thanks alot for some info,its helping,i have a duel fuel intake between 1,2 and 3,4,,great no prob,have a duel maual petcock,no prob,2,figure out,whoever had this before must have done a T nd just used one side of petcock and T,duel into fuel inlets,i will just run duel hoses,no prob, my vent lines are diff,i think its vent now?they are above fuel supply lines with a T nipple,if looking at pic u had for diagram there not on carbs there on like the black spacers next 2 the float bowl vents,is that my float bowl vents, smaller size nipples,than the fuel intake lines,but right above they also swivel

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
20 Dec 2008 16:34 #253735 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic fuel line routing question
kz100078A2 wrote:

hey thanks alot for some info,its helping,i have a duel fuel intake between 1,2 and 3,4,,great no prob,have a duel maual petcock,no prob,2,figure out,whoever had this before must have done a T nd just used one side of petcock and T,duel into fuel inlets,i will just run duel hoses,no prob, my vent lines are diff,i think its vent now?they are above fuel supply lines with a T nipple,if looking at pic u had for diagram there not on carbs there on like the black spacers next 2 the float bowl vents,is that my float bowl vents, smaller size nipples,than the fuel intake lines,but right above they also swivel

yeah your on track now 90% sure the ones you speak of are vent nips....dual lines is the ticket for now and a good filter on each(i ran mine a week cheating no filter) paid the price....but i'm apro at cleaning em now..lol...welcome cool bike...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
31 Dec 2008 09:28 #255530 by Sactown900
Replied by Sactown900 on topic fuel line routing question
Thanks for this POST. I have a stock 76 KZ900. The petcock was off and sitting in the Battery tray, when I bought it, so I have no idea were fuel lines go. After 15 years of sitting, I bought a battery. This will be a big help, in buying what I need (lines, filters, clips, Ts?) to try and start this bike. :woohoo: