Carb Diaphragm cracked: Fixable?

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Dec 2008 16:35 - 05 Dec 2008 00:11 #250722 by bountyhunter
Carb Diaphragm cracked: Fixable? was created by bountyhunter
I needed to change the needles on my BS-38 Mikunis, I went back to the stock ones because it was running a shade rich with the Keyster needles. When I was putting the left piston back in, I held it up to the light and could see a small crack in the rubber out near the edge maybe 1/4" long. The rubber has "ruffles" at the edge and the crack runs in one of those.

I put the bike back together and it still runs pretty good (better with stock needles). Idles smooth, accelerates well, no hesitation. I can't detect any uneven running and it pulls real hard when I rip the throttle open at either low or high speed. The tear may have been there for some time, I can't see anything new except for a slight change from the leaner needles. Spark plugs look OK.

Do I have to fix that stupid diaphram? Can you put some RTV rubber on it or is it toast?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 05 Dec 2008 00:11 by bountyhunter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2008 18:08 #250732 by kzkx
Replied by kzkx on topic Carb Diaphram craked: Fixable?
I wondered the same thing, I thought about the RTV on it but I was afraid it would get sucked into the carbs. I just went to a local salvage and bought one. It was 50 bucks for just one. Kinda expensive but I couldn't find any other any cheaper. Then I didn't have to worry about anything.

81 XS 400 Cafe Project
82 Seca 400
83 KZ 750 LTD
83 KZ 750 Hardtail
98 YZF 600R gone
OKC, OK

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Dec 2008 21:56 #250779 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Carb Diaphram craked: Fixable?
kzkx wrote:

I wondered the same thing, I thought about the RTV on it but I was afraid it would get sucked into the carbs. I just went to a local salvage and bought one. It was 50 bucks for just one. Kinda expensive but I couldn't find any other any cheaper. Then I didn't have to worry about anything.

problem with a 29 year old bike is I will be getting another 29 year old rubber piece at the salvage.

I found the OEM part at Babbittsonline for $75 each, don't know if it is actually available or not. I'll know soon.....

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
05 Dec 2008 05:44 #250794 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Carb Diaphram craked: Fixable?
George of www.wgcarbs.com has mastered some repairs of torn diaphragms...contact him directly for the secret technique...also see the following link for new diaphragms:)

www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/index.htm

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
05 Dec 2008 05:52 #250797 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Carb Diaphram craked: Fixable?
i've different procedures over the years and i've never found any that really were acceptable so i won't even try them on customer carb's anymore it's not worth the frustration,i might if the diapraghm cannot be found but otherwise i just buy new.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
05 Dec 2008 06:49 - 31 Dec 2008 15:45 #250804 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 31 Dec 2008 15:45 by JMKZHI.

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Dec 2008 16:01 #250875 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Carb Diaphragm cracked: Fixable?
:angry:

So... I took the thing back out and gave it a really good eyeball and found out it doesn't have a hole..... it has three holes.

And the one on the other side has TWO holes......

Those little suckers are hard to see.

I am going to try the method of sealing it with probond urethane glue as suggested in the PM. I also ordered new ones but have no idea if Kawi still sells them.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Dec 2008 16:07 #250876 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Carb Diaphram craked: Fixable?
Mcdroid wrote:

George of www.wgcarbs.com has mastered some repairs of torn diaphragms...contact him directly for the secret technique...also see the following link for new diaphragms:)

www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/index.htm

Thanks for the link.

Is it correct that I have to send them the slides in the UK and they put the diaphragms on and ship them back?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
05 Dec 2008 16:08 #250877 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Carb Diaphragm cracked: Fixable?
It looks like the diaphram is only used on the KZ750 twin, so things are not looking promising for getting new ones though Kawasaki

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Dec 2008 21:09 - 05 Dec 2008 21:10 #250977 by bountyhunter
RonKZ650 wrote:

It looks like the diaphram is only used on the KZ750 twin, so things are not looking promising for getting new ones though Kawasaki

The crackhead at the counter of the local Kawi dealer said they showed up as available, but he could be full of crap as usual......

BTW, the one I need is the:

16028-1001

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 05 Dec 2008 21:10 by bountyhunter.

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
07 Dec 2008 19:11 #251376 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Carb Diaphragm cracked: Fixable?
I've used Marine GOOP on carb diaphragms to repair holes.
Cracks are another story. At this stage you've got nothing to lose except for the cost of the tube of GOOP. I would recommend cleaning the diaphragm around the crack thoroughly with some isopropyl alcohol before applying the GOOP. Use as little GOOP as possible to do the job, smearing it along the crack and working it through to the other side and smearing it on the other side as well. Let it cure in a warm place for AT LEAST 24 HOURS before reassembling everything.
Let everyone know which method you're using and how it all turns out.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Dec 2008 21:20 - 07 Dec 2008 21:44 #251395 by bountyhunter
H2RICK wrote:

I've used Marine GOOP on carb diaphragms to repair holes.
Cracks are another story. At this stage you've got nothing to lose except for the cost of the tube of GOOP. I would recommend cleaning the diaphragm around the crack thoroughly with some isopropyl alcohol before applying the GOOP. Use as little GOOP as possible to do the job, smearing it along the crack and working it through to the other side and smearing it on the other side as well. Let it cure in a warm place for AT LEAST 24 HOURS before reassembling everything.
Let everyone know which method you're using and how it all turns out.

Substitute "probond" for "GOOP" in the paragraph above and that's what I did Friday. I reassembled it today and it seems to be working fine. I have no idea how long, but I suppose I can do it as required. The probond stuff seems well suited for the task. It expands as it cures, so use the minimum to get coverage. You definitely need to clean first, because the first time I didn't and it did not stick well. I pulled off the first glue remnants and then cleaned the edges of the slit with a Q-tip wet with acetone and did the gluing over. The second time seemed to stick well.

I have not been able to buy new slides or find anybody with used ones I could send out for new rubbers.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 07 Dec 2008 21:44 by bountyhunter.