Jetting and straight piping?

More
01 Dec 2008 21:03 #250277 by codsack
Jetting and straight piping? was created by codsack
Great site here guys.....Sorry if this has been discussed before and any related threads would be appreciated. I have a 78' kz1000 ltd and I'm rebuilding the motor (stock internals) currently and had a couple questions. I plan on running POD filters, prob. emgo filters. I want to run straight pipes that are pretty short. They wrap around the sides and will stop about 4-6" after the crash bars. I looked at the stage 2 dynojet carb kit and I was curious what number jets will work best for short straight pipes.

One other question, even though I'm straight piping her, will extending the pipes a lil after the carbs increase the low end torque enough to fool with? I know shorter pipes aren't as good as longer pipes when it comes to low end torque, but I wanted to ask some people that are familiar with the 1000 motor. After I get my chop all back together, which should be about 2-3 months, I may still make some homemade baffles and see how she reacts. Any input on jetting and how the 1000 motor reacts to straight piping would be appreciated.

I know what will happen to the valves if straight piped and not rejetted thanks to the previous owner. 3 of the 4 exhaust valves were warped/burnt however you wanna call it. Thanks again guys....the fish.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2008 21:21 #250283 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Jetting and straight piping?
the only motors that i have ever seen work half decentwith those shorty drag pipes were hillclimbers on alcohol on nitro motored dragbikes the hillclimb motors were all big inch [1428cc or better] for a gas motor they don't work well at all, not only do they not work well they sound very flat they don't have a nice sounding tone at all you would be much better off with a 4 into 1 system anybody i have seen use drag pipes has actually had to jet the bike down instead of up because they don't have good flow at all. i know you have chopped your bike so at the very least try to find a 2 into 2 system for it.that would make better [power then those drag pipes

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
02 Dec 2008 15:02 #250415 by codsack
Replied by codsack on topic Jetting and straight piping?
Yeah...I was kinda expecting that answer. Guess that's why I asked. I might just extend them some and baffle em to get some backpressure in em
. I'll look into some 2 into 2s and see what they're priced at also. I appreciate the info. and anymore would be great.