Winter storage for carbs

More
09 Nov 2008 19:11 #246568 by McGregor
Winter storage for carbs was created by McGregor
Hi there,
I have a question about how to keep carbs nice and cleen till next season.
I have a garage, but not a warm one, so maybe it's better idea to remove the carbs from my bike and put them in a basement, for instance, when temperature more stable?
Stay warm, ride safe, my brothers :)
Thank you and appreciate your help.

KZ1000M1 CSR 1981

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2008 19:33 #246573 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Winter storage for carbs
I see no need to remove the carbs from the engine unless you want to send them out for an overhaul.

To prepare your bike for winter I'd get the oil hot(go for a 5-10 mile ride)come home and drain the oil and refill with fresh oil,drain the gas from the tank and float bowls of the carbs. Pull the tank and put some 20W50 oil in it(about 6oz) and coat the inside of the tank to retard rust.

Squirting some light oil in the sparkplug holes and turning it over with a wrench at the crank will distribute protective oil in the cylinders(it will smoke come spring) for rust retardation.

Dis-connect and remove the battery from the bike,hook up a battery tender or similar device to maintain it. If you have a way to get the bikes wheels off the ground(milk crate) this will reduce the chance of a flat spot developing on the tires.

A lot of older bikes are being discovered and cleaned up for riding after stored for far longer than what you are doing here.

Just some thoughts.........

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
10 Nov 2008 17:37 - 10 Nov 2008 17:43 #246696 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Winter storage for carbs
I always take my carbs off. I bring the carbs inside and give them a good cleaning inside and out. Sort of an annual service. Then I put them in a plastic bag loosely tied and stick them in a cupboard until spring.

I fill the gas tank and add Stabil. In the Spring I transfer the bike gas to the minivan and replace with fresh gas, put the carbs back on and fire the beast up. Usually starts first time. I find this works for me. In the Spring I have clean carbs and clean gas and no gremlins.

I should add that I park the bike outside under a breathable bike cover and it can get pretty cold up here.

I think most people may leave the carbs in place on the bike. It will be interesting to see what others say.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 10 Nov 2008 17:43 by JR.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
10 Nov 2008 18:07 #246705 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Winter storage for carbs
I have always left them on the bike, except for when they required... well, something or other. Just run a bit of seafoam or stabil through the last tank or so... But, I've almost always brought the tank inside to my dry basement (I wouldn't do that with a damp basement)...

This year, I have a crazy idea that they are all coming off and coming in the house for cleaning... and documenting... I have at least one set of carbs that I suspect is a non-standard set of jets, and I'm gonna write 'em all down once-and-for-all...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
10 Nov 2008 18:08 #246708 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Winter storage for carbs
not for nothing but i just put stabil in a full tank ( whole bottle ) and go for a ride.
it gets in the float bowls and i have always had luck doing that.
but i also ride it once in awhile if the roads are dry.
my biggest problum is the damn mice that get in my garage over the winter.
i had to remove the baffel once and clear the pipe from the mouse nest. real funny to see the mice fly out.
now i cover the pipe also and half the time forget to remove it when i fire it up.
all you guys in the warm climates can just bite me! :laugh:

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
10 Nov 2008 18:20 #246711 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Winter storage for carbs
kawsakiman wrote:

i had to remove the baffel once and clear the pipe from the mouse nest. real funny to see the mice fly out.
now i cover the pipe also and half the time forget to remove it when i fire it up.
all you guys in the warm climates can just bite me! :laugh:

That is funny :laugh:
I alwasy plug the exhaust just to prevent small critters getting curious. When I take off the carbs I always plug the intakes also.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
10 Nov 2008 22:34 #246750 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic Winter storage for carbs
Ok, maby it is just im young and single. But my 3 0ld kawi's come inside for the winter. I live in an apartment and have a garage but i perfer to keep them in the warmth of my place. The first year i had my kz 650, i put it in my friends garage, but before i put it away i put a 4 into 1 vance and hines and of coarse took out the baffle. Well i guess a mouse got in the pipe over the winter. I cranked and cranked on it....and it wouldnt start. Sprayed some starting fluid in the pods and did she ever fire up. It was kinda funny my friends dad got pegged in the leg by a half charred mouse, and it blew all kind of crap out then idled down and was good to go. This winter my z1 will get rebuilt in my living room.........hmmmmmm, i think my living room table shall make a fine bike table to work off of. God how i love being single, if i was still with my ex i could not even come close to thinking about this. Yes in case you are all wondering i am a young Gringo in the works...........lol

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
11 Nov 2008 07:18 #246789 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Winter storage for carbs
Good on you...I do wish I had a heated garage to work in....I'm looking at a couple of more space heaters for winter work.

I'm thinking for you to graduate beyond "Gringo-in-training" your going to have to get a bigger place to live!

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
11 Nov 2008 11:37 #246836 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic Winter storage for carbs
If i had a heated garage i probally would not be doing this...........oh what am i talking about yes i would.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
13 Nov 2008 13:52 #247232 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Winter storage for carbs
My carbs stay on, but get drained.
Tank full with Sea Foam in it as well.

Winter storage list:

~Add fuel stabilzer
~Top the gas tank up
~Start and warm the bike up
~Do an oil and filter change
~Turn fuel off
~Drain carbs
~Pull and inspect spark plugs replace if needed (really when else have you looked at them?)
~Add a teaspoon of oil directly to each cylinder while the plugs are out. Reinstall the plugs. Over the Winter/storage period, turn the engine over to move the pistons as you don't want them to sit in one spot.
~Lube all cables
~Clean and lube chain
~Pull the battery out and place inside where it's warm. Keep the levels up and trickle charge it once a month. Keep off a cement floor; put it on a piece of wood.
~Clean everything, wax all the painted bits
~Stuff a rag into the air filter that has a touch of oil on it
~Stuff a rag into the exhaust that has a touch of oil on it (these are to keep critters out)
~Put the bike up on stands if possible, getting both wheels off the floor.
~Take some air out of the tires
~Write down EVERYTHING you think will need to be done to it in the spring and tape it to the ignition
~Pull the ownership out if you carry it in the bike
~Lock it up
~Cover it with a breathable cover

Me I do all my maintence right now as well. Valve adjustments, brake inspections/replacement, coolent/brake fuild replacment, all filter replacments, any thing else that has to be done.
Basically get the bike ready so in the spring I can pull the rags out, add some air to the tires, pop the battery in and go for a ride without having to spend hours working on the bike

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s