leaking carbs!

More
08 Nov 2008 10:29 #246300 by zeiss150
leaking carbs! was created by zeiss150
I'm guessing that the float needles are bad (oh I have 28mm on my 78 kz650) or the floats need to be adjusted. so how do I determine if its the needle and seat or just the float level.

If it is the float level whats the best way to set them? and If its the needle and seats where can I get 4 of them?

Thanks, Matt-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2008 11:12 #246321 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic leaking carbs!
tap on the bowls with screwdriver handle and see if it stops ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
08 Nov 2008 12:04 #246329 by davel
Replied by davel on topic leaking carbs!
Is it 1 carb or multiple? Is it leaking while the engine is running or after you shut it off? If the leak occurs after the engine has been turned off then first look at the petcock valve. The petcock should shut fuel off to the carbs when the engine is off. This should happen automatically if you have a vacuum operated petcock or manually on the older style petcocks.

PLUMMEN wrote:

tap on the bowls with screwdriver handle and see if it stops ;)

If 1 carb is leaking while the engine is running then try as plummen suggested but you might want to first drain the bowl. Remove the screw on the bottom of the carb bowl. After all the fuel drains out replace the screw and, while tapping the bowl GENTLY with the screwdriver handle, turn the petcock lever to the PRI(prime) position. Continue tapping until the bowl fills completely...give it about 1 minute. If it still leaks, you'll have to remove the carb rack and remove the bowl to see what's happening.

Sometimes dirt clogs the needle and seat or the float will hang. Draining of the bowl and tapping while filling can often resolve these problems.

More
08 Nov 2008 13:39 #246346 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic leaking carbs!
zeiss150 wrote:

I'm guessing that the float needles are bad (oh I have 28mm on my 78 kz650) or the floats need to be adjusted. so how do I determine if its the needle and seat or just the float level.

If it is the float level whats the best way to set them? and If its the needle and seats where can I get 4 of them?

Thanks, Matt-

Often a good cleaning will remove crud or grit in the float needle/seat interface and thereby restore proper function by allowing complete seal at the interface.

If deciding to replace needles and seats, should do them together as a new pair (both needle and seat). Should be available at Z1E.

Won't be able to accurately perform the clear plastic tube test for service fuel level until the leaking float needle/seat interface has been corrected. Because the level is measured where the fuel flowing into the floatbowl is stopped by a properly sealing interface.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Nov 2008 15:31 #247097 by zeiss150
Replied by zeiss150 on topic leaking carbs!
Well I got the leaking float problem fixed... but it still smokes like a train. damn it .... its never the easy stuff. grrrrrr.

Thanks for the advice.

Matt-

More
12 Nov 2008 17:28 #247117 by Patton
zeiss150 wrote:

Well I got the leaking float problem fixed... but it still smokes like a train....

To play it safe, would sniff-test the crankcase oil for any gasoline odor indicating fuel contamination (and cause for smoking).

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Nov 2008 21:50 #247141 by zeiss150
I smelled the crank case and it didn't smell like gas ... but I'll change the oil and filter anyway and see what happens... I'm sure it will still smoke:dry:

photo test...

More
15 Nov 2008 07:45 #247525 by zeiss150
Check this out! When I put my bike on the side stand It leaks out of the #4 carb wtf? If its on the center stand it doesn't leak a drop. I suppose that it could still be leaking just not out of the carb but into the engine:( I adjusted the floats so there is no reason that I can think of that would keep the floats from shutting off the gas.

this is what my plugs look like...

I'm almost positive that its not a fuel leak but I still don't know why my carb is leaking on the side stand

Help.

Matt-
Attachments:

More
15 Nov 2008 08:22 #247528 by davel
Replied by davel on topic leaking carbs!
zeiss150 wrote:

When I put my bike on the side stand It leaks out of the #4 carb wtf? If its on the center stand it doesn't leak a drop.

Is it leaking from the overflow tube or from the seam between the bowl and carb body? If from the overflow tube, then it's likely that the bowl is still too full.

Plug looks rich. Did you pull the plug after riding the bike or was it just idling?

More
15 Nov 2008 10:31 #247544 by Patton
zeiss150 wrote:

... When I put my bike on the side stand It leaks out of the #4 carb wtf? If its on the center stand it doesn't leak a drop... I adjusted the floats....

Exactly where is the leak from #4 carb?? Overflow tube? Bowl gasket?? Bent float bowl "ear" from over-tightening? Dripping from the pod (if so equipped)? Somewhere else?

What float adjustment method was used? Clear plastic hose test is reliable if performed correctly.
But the "mechanical-measurement-while-upside-down-on-the-bench" method is NOT reliable.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
15 Nov 2008 11:46 #247555 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic leaking carbs!
pull the float needles out and look for any scoring on the tip's if you feel anything with your fingernail the you will probably have to replace them. and inspect the contact area of the seat for any pitting or gouges if there is any replace them. you should be able to get them in rebuild kit's from k&l supply available thru any decent bike shop.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE