Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 15 Feb 2006 19:00 #24163

• Tower_Monkey1
  • Tower_Monkey1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
OK heres one for the experts, Im not sure if any or all followed my thread in the chit chat, but Ive done alot of changes to my bike this past few weeks. I installed dyna coils,dyna ignition,8mm yellow plug wires, new B8ES plugs, emgo pods, jets 102.5 , needle in stock position, floats are spot on, timing is spot on also. Bike has 4-1 kerker and starts great after the initial start up using starting fluid. What could be the problem or solution to this problem. Thanks Wayne
78 KZ650C2 Dyna ignition and coils,Pod filters,4-1 Kerker,CBR Tail Light,Drilled front dics,Custom front fender,1/4 fairing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 15 Feb 2006 21:07 #24188

• wireman
  • Visitor
getting fuel?

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 16 Feb 2006 05:30 #24236

• creedmiller
  • User
may still be a little lean,makes for harder starting. i am not sure 102.5 is big enough,also going up one size on pilot jets would make starting easer.i'm not sure how much altitude affects jetting though.

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 16 Feb 2006 07:37 #24263

• Tower_Monkey1
  • User
Wireman, maybe I should of added more info to the header. It only needs starting fluid on the first cold start of the day, after that it starts like a champ. Its just when you let it sit overnight. The carbs are not leaking fuel overnight. Its just got me stumped. Wayne
78 KZ650C2 Dyna ignition and coils,Pod filters,4-1 Kerker,CBR Tail Light,Drilled front dics,Custom front fender,1/4 fairing.

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 16 Feb 2006 07:51 #24268

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Are you starting on the side stand without priming?

Petcock to prime.
Side stand up.
Choke.
Start bike.

-Duck

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 16 Feb 2006 08:40 #24280

• Tower_Monkey1
  • User
Duck, you forgot,
drain battery
put on charger
use starting fluid
starts right up !!

Ive even changed plugs to new ones and it will then start without starting fluid , but man new plugs everyday is expensive or even a PITA to change them out with cleaned plugs everyday. Doesnt make it practical to ride to work and then be emberassed changing plugs in parking lot to ride it home .

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 16 Feb 2006 09:59 #24294

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
Thn I don't have a clue.
It's the same story for starting as for running.
You need compression, a proper mix and a good spark at the right time. Somethings missing from the equation.

What do the plugs look like when you take them out?

-Duck

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 16 Feb 2006 18:06 #24369

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 432
This is probably a really dumb question but ........any possibility of a problem with the choke ? Flaps not closing properly ?
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 16 Feb 2006 22:09 #24416

• Tower_Monkey1
  • User
Duck, plugs are sooty black, dry sooty black. here we go again. Yes the choke is pulling all the way on .

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 17 Feb 2006 03:32 #24434

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
Why?
The soot(carbon) conducts electricity around the gap and weakens the spark. You need a strong spark in a cold wet cylinder.

Hotter plugs will burn off the soot.
Better fuel air mix will lessen the amount of soot.
If you're running a short distance in cold weather and engine is not getting good and hot you'll need a hotter plug. Smaller number = hotter plug. 7 hotter than 8 hotter than 9.

If you do your plug color test you can see if and where in the operating range the mix is off.

Almost there!

-Duck

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 17 Feb 2006 08:37 #24470

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Wayne,
After the changes in the main jets you made in your other thread, the carbs may now need an increase in your pilot jet. I think stock is 15, you can try 17.5. It could give you that little extra fuel it needs to start up. Right now you are giving it the extra fuel in the form of starting fluid.

Another check to make is the coil voltage. Turn on the key with a charged battery and measure the voltage at the coil. If it's less than 12 volts you might need WG's coil mod. The mod article is in the filebase or article section, and it speaks specifically to sooty plugs.

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/02/17 11:40
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Wont start without starting fluid, Why ? 17 Feb 2006 09:16 #24480

• Tower_Monkey1
  • User
Kent, the pilot jet right now is the 15 and I think I have a 17.5 somewhere. I was thinking of doing the WG wiring upgrade just to play it safe, but right now it is -7 degrees here and im NOT going to the garage for anything other then to maybe put out a fire.... LOL... I'll do somemore playing with things on tuesday when im off, also my chin/scoop will arrive tuesday and i'd like to see what that looks like installed. I wanted to post a link to the e-bay site, but cant figure out how to do that yet. Any suggestions ? Thanks Wayne

P.S. Its from a ZX6R in black w/sticker that says 600R that will have to come off, maybe with a hairdryer ?

• Page: