really odd problem

More
08 Oct 2008 13:08 #240799 by judgie
really odd problem was created by judgie
when the bike is upright ie going in a stright line it pulls fine till it gets to the top end, still need some bigger mains.
problem is when cranked over in the corners with a trailing thtottle, when you try and put the power on its all fluffy and flat. soon as you get out of the corner and upright it starts pulling fine. checked the float leval and seem ok
any ideas it has me stumpped.
cheers rob

forever tweeking aircooled engines, well it is my job
77 z650c1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2008 13:27 #240802 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic really odd problem
I'm thinking gravity? A bike leans in a corner, so the fuel level in the carb changes orientation.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Oct 2008 14:14 #240809 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic really odd problem
how did you set the float level?,,sounds like it is right on the edge of too high

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• Zephyus
  • User
  • Live fast, Love hard, and Die old!
More
08 Oct 2008 14:37 #240814 by Zephyus
Replied by Zephyus on topic really odd problem
bountyhunter wrote:

I'm thinking gravity? A bike leans in a corner, so the fuel level in the carb changes orientation.

I may be way off here, but centrifugal force should maintain the float levels just as if the bike were still sitting upright. The same way you don't fall off the bike while leaning in a corner. I don't think its gravity causing your problem, but stranger things have happened.

Is the only changing variable the orientation of the bike to the road? Can you replicate the problem under different conditions?

1981 KZ550 LTD
1 in 2 people are below average intelligence. Chances are you are one of them! - I'm optimistic that my friends are in the upper 50%

More
08 Oct 2008 22:04 #240865 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic really odd problem
It's true there is some radial acceleration (the actual term for centrifugal force)in a corner, but the reason you don't fall off is you are holding on.

I don't think the force balances the fuel level perfectly, so if it is off to begin with, it will screw up more in corners.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
09 Oct 2008 00:27 #240879 by judgie
Replied by judgie on topic really odd problem
it will only happern when the bike is lent over.
its not really a situation i can do a plug chop in ethier:laugh:
think i'm going to try and get some diffferant carbs for it, stripped them down agian last night to try and raise the needles and all the little screws on the slides have been rounded of. you can also see traces of loctite on the screws.
time to start looking for some carbs

77 z650c1

More
17 Oct 2008 00:55 #242223 by judgie
sorted it :cheer:
been getting worse the last week so had a proper look at it last.
even though it had a new loom and ignition switch fitted by previuos owner. most of the conectors were lose or corroded.
while i was under there i did the relay mod for the coil feed as well.
the conector to the 2/4 coil was very lose.
just have to play a bit more with my jetting and we should be there :)
gone up to 136 mains thinking that was the prob so could drop donr to the 125 that i had in last week.
thanks for all the ideas
cheers rob

77 z650c1

More
17 Oct 2008 11:31 #242271 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic really odd problem
The electrical connectors,bullet style and the ones I call quick connect for the coils, will tend to become loose with vibration and give the indication of a fuel problem. The quick connection type can be carefully squeezed with needle nose pliers so it is tight again.

Some 400-600 grit sandpaper,plastic compatible electrical contact cleaner and some dielectric grease will reduce the chance of being stranded. Also clean the fuses and the fuse clips as they get corrosion too.

This type of maintenance should be done every six months or before the riding season after winter. Moisture gets into the many and various electrical connections,corrosion sets in and voltages/current flows are reduced.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
17 Oct 2008 12:33 - 17 Oct 2008 12:36 #242280 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic really odd problem
bounty hunter wrote....

It's true there is some radial acceleration (the actual term for centrifugal force)in a corner, but the reason you don't fall off is you are holding on.

I always thought that it was "centripital" force?

Concept

Most people have heard of centripetal and centrifugal force. Though it may be somewhat difficult to keep track of which is which, chances are anyone who has heard of the two concepts remembers that one is the tendency of objects in rotation to move inward, and the other is the tendency of rotating objects to move outward. It may come as a surprise, then, to learn that there is no such thing, strictly speaking, as centrifugal (outward) force. There is only centripetal (inward) force and the inertia that makes objects in rotation under certain situations move outward, for example, a car making a turn, the movement of a roller coaster—even the spinning of a centrifuge.

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST
Last edit: 17 Oct 2008 12:36 by KOOL RYDER.

More
18 Oct 2008 01:11 #242377 by judgie
think the main part of the prob was a bad wire going to number 2/4 coil, when i pulled the conector out the wire was hard and crusty into the bullet end.
chopped it all out and have gone from the relay to the coils with new wire and solidered/heatshrink terminals.
world of differance, its like i have just picked up 20bhp
still wont rev out but that might be a the 136 mains i have in it now from trying to sort the problem. will try the 125 agian and see how it goes.
feels very under geared now, will only about a ton, need to have a count up of teeth.
much happyer with the bike now.

77 z650c1

More
18 Oct 2008 06:27 #242391 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic really odd problem
Coils on any Kawasaki will be 1 & 4 cylinders and 2 & 3 cylinders. That is, the plug wires from the 1 & 4 coil will go to the 1 & 4 spark plugs. 2 & 3 coil wires will go to the 2 & 3 spark plugs. Sounds like you need to get a factory service manual or a Clymers and glance through it a bit. The tune up section would be a good starting point.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
18 Oct 2008 09:00 #242416 by judgie
my bad yeah its the 1/4 coil pack :unsure:
have gone through the whole bike tweeking bits here and there, timing was way out when i got as was the points gap. carbs had not been set up at all, header was blowing from head,silencer had no packing, plug gaps all over the place etc
slowly getting there and now it runs right i shall start sorting the running gear out, swing arm bearings need doing, forks need a dam good service, needs some rear shocks with some damping control.
all pretty normal stuff for a bike thats 30 years old :laugh:
cheers rob

77 z650c1