Back on the highway and running smooth !!!!!!!

More
07 Oct 2008 20:52 #240713 by Kawman
I'm up and running on the highway like a champ!!!!!! I re-routed the 2 float bowl vent tubes that were ran down to the ground. I ran them up and over the airbox. Presto!! She runs just awesome. The saga is over, now I can sleep at night. I'm very happy now that I can actually ride my old bike. :) :) :) :)

'78 KZ650B, '06 ZZR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2008 01:40 #240728 by PLUMMEN
im no carb guru but im confused here.the carbs were drainng out the overflow tubes so you hung them over the airbox to stop them from leaking now it runs good?did you check the floats to see if they were sticking or just needed adjusting?:blink:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
08 Oct 2008 05:33 - 08 Oct 2008 05:33 #240749 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Back on the highway and running smooth !!!!!!!
Have me by the gonads as well...

Meaning the carb's were draining via the down tubes probably due to as Plummen wrote "check the floats to see if they were sticking or needed adjusting".

In raising them, they don't drain, so where is all the excess gas going?

Seems to me this only hides the problem and does not repair what is occurring.

Ok, I'm baffled... :S

BTW, love your bike, very clean... ;)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 08 Oct 2008 05:33 by Old Man Rock.

More
08 Oct 2008 05:38 #240750 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Back on the highway and running smooth !!!!!!!
Kawman wrote:

I'm up and running on the highway like a champ!!!!!! I re-routed the 2 float bowl vent tubes that were ran down to the ground. I ran them up and over the airbox. Presto!! She runs just awesome. The saga is over, now I can sleep at night. I'm very happy now that I can actually ride my old bike. :) :) :) :)

Is it possible that having them going down under the bike was creating a suction like a road draft tube on an old car?

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
08 Oct 2008 09:16 - 08 Oct 2008 09:19 #240771 by Patton
Kawman wrote:

2 float bowl vent tubes -- perhaps were kinked or somehow blocked when previously routed over the swingarm and down underneath the bike. When re-routed up and over the airbox, the tubes likely cleared and began venting the floatbowls as designed.

These would be the two tubes that afford venting to each of the four floatbowls. From the factory, some models such as KZ900 have the two float vent tubes routed to a clip atop the airbox cover, and the four floatbowl overflow tubes routed over the swingarm and underneath the bike.

Some owners for various reasons elect to route the two vent tubes underneath the bike instead of up over the airbox or otherwise to underneath the seat.

When the two vent tubes are clear and unkinked, either routing should serve to vent the floatbowls.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 08 Oct 2008 09:19 by Patton.

More
08 Oct 2008 19:36 #240846 by Kawman
They were clear when they were routed south. There had to have been some air getting shot up the tubes or the air was blocking their ability to vent at higher speeds. I am assuming it was forcing fuel up the needle which made things alot richer. It really ran like crap when it was hot out at highway speed. Way too rich.

'78 KZ650B, '06 ZZR

More
08 Oct 2008 19:38 #240847 by Kawman
Just to clear up any confusion, the 4 overflow tubes are still routed south like they are supposed to be. :)

'78 KZ650B, '06 ZZR