KZ305 CSR Carb problems... rebuild or replace??

More
05 Oct 2008 09:14 #240241 by SimpleCJ
I attempted to rebuild my kz305 carbs recently. One side wasn't closing the inlet, so I ordered replacement valve seats and pins. Problem is that the seat didn't exactly fit. The replacement was threaded while the original was not. I got it to fit tight with some plumber's Teflon tape. Another problem was that the seat set too high, so I had to bend the lever arm on the floats up to accommodate the new height. When I thought I had it all set good, I put it back on the bike and now one side isn't getting any gas and I'm assuming it's the side that I had to custom fit.

Would it be worth it to take the carbs to the Kawasaki dealer and see if they can rebuild and tune them for me? I'm assuming this could be quite expensive and I'm thinking it might be just as cheap to try to find a different carb system. I have heard that the KZ400 carbs will work.

Any suggestions??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2008 23:18 #240334 by SimpleCJ
Tonight I rigged up the carbs for adjusting the fuel service level. As I had suspected the side I had modified with a new seat and valve-pin wasn't letting any gas in. I fiddled with both floats for about an hour and finally got them both filling to a few mm below the top of the bowls. Now I gotta get my replacement coils (used 1972 Yamaha 250 DS7 coils) and get the bike itself over to my house so I can see if the carbs are set right.

It ran ok before but would flood if you let it sit (that's why I changed the seat/pin). Hopefully the jets and everything is ok and I can just put it together and have it running again.

Of course the coils are a whole other story. It WAS running on universal automotive coils like you might put in a car or something. If the Yamaha coils don't work I've found some nice universal motorcycle coils on JC Whitney for about $25 each.

More
06 Oct 2008 10:25 #240387 by OKC_Kent
I'm not familiar with this bike so I can't help too much. This sounds like a twin? If it's a twin check out www.kz400.com They have a forum that covers all the Kawasaki twins, not just the 400.

If you call Z1Enterprises they may have carb parts or can get them for you. It may not show on their website so call them.
Have you set up a search notification on Ebay for 305 parts? You might find a coil that's made for your bike instead of a JC Whitney coil that way. If you have a shop manual it should give you specs on the coil, then you won't have to try other brands in a hit-or-miss chance one works. Z1Enterprises has a few coils that may work, Dyna coils, and a generic 3-4 ohm coil for about $35.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
06 Oct 2008 17:07 #240442 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic KZ305 CSR Carb problems... rebuild or replace??
The 305 carburetors are similar to later KZ440 carburetors. They are twin Keihin constant velocity... 32mm I think but can't swear to it. There are almost no parts available for these carburetors except bowl gaskets and float needles. I have sources for jets, orings, etc. Almost all CV series Keihin carbs are in that same boat... not a great parts supply but when they are rebuilt and in good condition, they work great.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!