pilot jet question

More
04 Oct 2008 18:50 #240171 by keith1
pilot jet question was created by keith1
went for a 50 mile blast today and i have a problem that still wont go away....at about 3k i have an intermttent farting out of the pods.it seems to be worse during the first 20 mins of riding and does it rarely when warm...it was worse
just after rejetting and got a little better richening the pilot srews on the bottom front of bowls.
i m guessing 3k is just about the point before the mains help out...never farts above 4500 and pulls great to redline....plugs look good and valves just adjusted....no change.....i have #20 pilots clipped at the 4th position....in a 50 mile ride it did it probably 8-9 times....i m thinking up one more size on pilots and would i need to change clip position? details: v and h pipe, k and n s and dyna ignition, vm26ss,...bike runs great otherwise...
thoughts?....thanks in advance.....keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2008 19:51 #240178 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic pilot jet question
If not already done, would double-check ignition timing with strobe-type timing light, and assure that the advancer unit is properly functioning (not sticking) by watching it move back and forth as rpm are varied. Thinking it's possibly sticking more-so when cold and then loosening up some when the engine warms.

Would also install a brand-new set of NGKB8ES spark plugs and test ride to see whether problem persists. Regardless of how good the existing plugs may appear on visual inspection.

Would also assure that battery is good and fully charged with correct fluid levels. And assure clean tight cable connections at terminals, and good solid ground connection where negative cable attaches to engine or ground.

Are the old original ignition coils and plug wires and plug caps still being used? Thinking ignition (spark) may be weak for whatever reason and causing less problem when engine is warm.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
04 Oct 2008 19:54 #240179 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic pilot jet question
all good points and hints.....thanks

More
04 Oct 2008 20:00 - 04 Oct 2008 20:02 #240180 by keith1
Patton wrote:

If not already done, would double-check ignition timing with strobe-type timing light, and assure that the advancer unit is properly functioning (not sticking) by watching it move back and forth as rpm are varied. Thinking it's possibly sticking more-so when cold and then loosening up some when the engine warms.

Would also install a brand-new set of NGKB8ES spark plugs and test ride to see whether problem persists. Regardless of how good the existing plugs may appear on visual inspection.

Would also assure that battery is good and fully charged with correct fluid levels. And assure clean tight cable connections at terminals, and good solid ground connection where negative cable attaches to engine or ground.

Are the old original ignition coils and plug wires and plug caps still being used? Thinking ignition (spark) may be weak for whatever reason and causing less problem when engine is warm.

Last edit: 04 Oct 2008 20:02 by keith1. Reason: screw up

More
04 Oct 2008 20:01 #240181 by keith1
to get to advancer just pull the two srews holding down electronic ignition module under the points cover? this bike has been neglected on a lot of the little stuff....i m sure the advancer needs lube and i can rule it out.....done a lot of riding, but this is the first ride i am actually getting my hands dirty on.....thanks

More
04 Oct 2008 21:29 - 04 Oct 2008 21:31 #240197 by Patton
Am thinking Dyna-S has three screws through slotted holes attaching its round back plate to the engine.

[Click on image to enlarge view]

After removing the Dyna-S, the advancer is held by a bolt into end of the crankshaft (14mm??).

Recall the 17mm "fake" nut used for hand-turning the crankshaft, which avoids stripping threads of the smaller bolt and threads inside crankshaft.

Hold the 17mm "fake" nut to keep the crankshaft from turning while unscrewing and removing the smaller bolt.

The advancer unit and Dyna-S rotor should pull away. Inspect, clean and lube the advancer unit.

Notice the small magnet imbedded into the Dyna-S rotor.

When re-assembling, assure the magnet is in the 9 o'clock position when the F mark for 1/4 aligns with the fixed timing mark on the engine case. This avoids a 180 degree mistake in orientation of the rotor by assuring the magnet passes the left-hand Dyna-S module to signal the coil which fires the two outside spark plugs #1 and #4.

Re-attach the Dyna-S, and re-set the timing. Approximate center of the elongated holes may already produce nearly correct timing.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Oct 2008 21:31 by Patton.

More
05 Oct 2008 14:40 #240273 by keith1
thanks...

More
05 Oct 2008 14:48 #240275 by keith1
keith1 wrote:

thanks...

whats the lube of choice for the advancer..?

More
05 Oct 2008 15:31 #240278 by Patton
Am thinking the FSM just says to oil it and put grease in the grove, without specifying much more.

I have success using molybendium grease, but realize there may be better alternatives. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
05 Oct 2008 17:46 #240302 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic pilot jet question
Patton wrote:

Am thinking the FSM just says to oil it and put grease in the grove, without specifying much more.

I have success using molybendium grease, but realize there may be better alternatives. :)

After I saw how the greases scummed up on it, I stripped it bone clean with solvent and just oiled the pivots.

1979 KZ-750 Twin