Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

. 26 Oct 2006 06:40 #87465

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

Dr. Suzuki (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the petcock) 10 Jun 2007 20:39 #148160

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
  • Thank you received: 3
I want to report that I have sucessfully mounted this same Suzuki petock onto my KZ1000.

Details: I have a '78 KZ1000 B2. I picked up a larger tank on Ebay. Best I can tell, the tank is from a '78 KZ1000 A2 (has the bolt-on vacuum petcock). Needless to say, the original petcock leaked. I like the set-and-forget vacuum taps (when they don't leak). So I didn't want to convert to a manual tap.

The refurb kits for this petcock were $50+, and there's no guarantee it wouldn't still leak.

So I bought a Suzuki petcock from Z1 Enterprises. They have two models available on their website--one is $39 and the other is about $45. I asked Jeff what the difference was, and he said "price". :whistle: Other than that, he sees no difference. So get the cheaper one.

When it arrived, I removed the back plate and rotated it 180* so the vacuum nipple faces forward. The fuel nipple faces to the rear, and cannot be changed. As has been discussed earlier in this thread, the rear-facing fuel nipple makes a tight fit with the frame. So rather than bending the fuel hose down and risking a kink, I routed the hose straight back underneath the seat pan, and gave it a nice big arc back under the tank, through a gap in the frame, and into the carb area.

I used a brass tee fitting to route the fuel to the two fuel inputs on the carbs. I don't know if it was necessary, but I tried to keep the lines coming off the tee level so that the fuel would flow equally to both sides. I also used a single button filter to keep the fuel clean.

Here are the pics:

West Linn, OR

Dr. Suzuki (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the petcock) 11 Jun 2007 20:36 #148539

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
Cool !.............but will the seat closing down pinch the fuel line ?
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Dr. Suzuki (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the petcock) 22 Jun 2007 10:40 #151778

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
  • Thank you received: 3
JR wrote:

Cool !.............but will the seat closing down pinch the fuel line ?

Nope. There is enough space there that it does not get pinched. :pinch:
West Linn, OR