Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Dr. Suzuki (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the petcock) 13 Mar 2006 19:26 #30828

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
giftofthegods77 wrote:

That nasty looking yellow line is an overflow hose (I think).

If it's the one that goes over the airbox and lays along the frame and ends there, it is the vent tube for carbs 1 & 2. 3 & 4 should have a similar one on the right side. The vent tube keeps the carb bowls at atmospheric pressure which forces the fuel up through the jet and into the venturi. Don't cap them off!! :)

The overflows are the ones that come out of the bottom of the bowls and go over the backside of the transmission and hang down in front of the rear tire.

- Nate >>
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dr. Suzuki (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the petcock) 14 Mar 2006 09:31 #31035

• giftofthegods77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
If it's the one that goes over the airbox and lays along the frame and ends there, it is the vent tube for carbs 1 & 2. 3 & 4 should have a similar one on the right side. The vent tube keeps the carb bowls at atmospheric pressure which forces the fuel up through the jet and into the venturi. Don't cap them off!! :)

The overflows are the ones that come out of the bottom of the bowls and go over the backside of the transmission and hang down in front of the rear tire.

- Nate >>[/quote]

Ah,ha!Thanks!:)

Chet,

Yeah, I switched the vacuum tube to the other side. I too had to go buy some new line for the vacuum line b/c the original line was too short. Overall, a really easy, relatively cheap fix for such a stupid problem.

Thanks again for being the one to step up and try it out first!

Dr. Suzuki (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the petcock) 30 Mar 2006 19:29 #35600

• MadMac74
  • User
Hey you guys, great job sourcing this fix, Mine is clearing customs as I type, thanks ,I'll chat later when its installed.

MAC
'78 KZ650 C2,810 conversion,stock kz 750 cams,with a Blueprinted Head both from a '81 KZ 750. BS 34 Mikunis, Mac /Kerker 4 into 1 with custom 2" comp baffle. 3 rd owner
'02 ZRX1200R, 3rd owner
'83 XR200R, 3 rd owner
'84 V65 Sabre 3 rd owner

Dr. Suzuki (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the petcock) 31 Mar 2006 06:36 #35701

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 181
It's good to see the pictures to validate them fitting. It does fit fairly well. We've tried to search out some alternative ones - the Suzuki petocks are the only bolt-on 44mm vacuum style we've been able to find (that will fit most bikes).
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

Dr. Suzuki (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the petcock) 01 Apr 2006 07:45 #35930

• tnewkirk
  • User
Thanks for the info.This has been a stumbling block to getting my 78650sr running.As soon as i saw the pics i got a smile on my face.Thanks

Great repair, good sourcing 06 Apr 2006 17:39 #37361

• MadMac74
  • User
Just like I figured , It works fine Thanks guys! Hey Jeff , one week and one day out to BC, can't beat that eh?
'78 KZ650 C2,810 conversion,stock kz 750 cams,with a Blueprinted Head both from a '81 KZ 750. BS 34 Mikunis, Mac /Kerker 4 into 1 with custom 2" comp baffle. 3 rd owner
'02 ZRX1200R, 3rd owner
'83 XR200R, 3 rd owner
'84 V65 Sabre 3 rd owner

Dr. Suzuki (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the petcock) 06 Apr 2006 20:38 #37428

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Great news! Thanks for the heads up.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Dr. Suzuki (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the petcock) 14 Apr 2006 17:34 #39573

• captaincrusty51
  • User
Want to chime in with another successful install on a 78 KZ650C2. The outlet hose is a little closer to the frame than ideal, but I have not had a flow problem.

Jeff said that depending on the tank clearance could be a problem. This thing is smooth to operate, and now the bike doesn't smell like gas.

To the guys who did this already, how much difference between the stock setup and this before reserve kicks in?

Post edited by: captaincrusty51, at: 2006/04/14 20:36

Post edited by: captaincrusty51, at: 2006/04/14 20:36
1978 KZ650C
Keihin CR Special carbs, MAC 4 into 1, Koni Shocks, Emgo Pods

2002 ZRX1200R
Akrapovic exhaust, Teds Ignition Advance, Steering Damper, Dunlop Qualifier tires, Corbin GF/L,Rear tire hugger, Tsukigi braces
Attachments:

Dr. Suzuki (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the petcock) 16 Apr 2006 21:28 #40095

• giftofthegods77
  • User
You know, I don't really know. I haven't actually run her down that low yet. I have been only riding around town of late...that is until I had my little electrical problem (see electrical forum).

The draw tube, as noted by Chet, does look a bit longer, and I have wondered about this too.

Another thing I've notice is that the bike is much easier to start with the petcock in the prime position. I am sure this is almost always the case, but I never needed to do that before with the stock petcock.

Let me know on the reserve issue.

Dr. Suzuki (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the petcock) 16 Apr 2006 21:30 #40097

• giftofthegods77
  • User
Captain,

I like how you mounted the vacum hose nipple down instead of to the side. I bet that worked a bit better. I may even take mine off and switch it around.:whistle:

Dr. Suzuki (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the petcock) 16 Apr 2006 22:11 #40115

• captaincrusty51
  • User
I was riding home Saturday when I started sputtering and had to hit reserve. About 9 miles later I filled the tank,and she took 3.8 gallons. I figured I had about 1/2 a gallon or so left in the tank. I reset the trip meter and will get a better idea of usage when it runs out again.
As long as I have 20+ miles of reserve in the tank I won't worry too much about finding a gas station. Anything less than that and interstate trips can get risky.
Overall I am happy I went this route rather than chance rebuilding the stock petcock.
1978 KZ650C
Keihin CR Special carbs, MAC 4 into 1, Koni Shocks, Emgo Pods

2002 ZRX1200R
Akrapovic exhaust, Teds Ignition Advance, Steering Damper, Dunlop Qualifier tires, Corbin GF/L,Rear tire hugger, Tsukigi braces

Dr. Suzuki (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the petcock) 26 Oct 2006 06:08 #87455

• sorner
  • User
anybody know if this would work on a 1981 KZ305?