Jetting HELP!!!

• prowindow
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
24 Sep 2008 06:22 #238447 by prowindow
Jetting HELP!!! was created by prowindow
Hi, new guy here, very nice site I must say. I have a 78 kz1000 . The previous owner equipped it with K&N pods and a kerker 4into1. It is rich and I stink of fuel when I get off the bike. What should my jetting be with this combo? Thanks so much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2008 10:48 #238479 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Jetting HELP!!!
Is it rich coming out of exhaust or are carbs leaking? I wouldn't think rich exhaust would make you smell like gas. Check that carbs are not leaking (which could make bike smell like gas) Check plugs for richness, how does bike run?;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• prowindow
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
24 Sep 2008 16:00 #238502 by prowindow
Replied by prowindow on topic Jetting HELP!!!
No fuel leaks, It is rich out of the exhaust, plugs are sooty. Bike bogs down low, then pulls decent over 2500 rpm. carbs were "gone thru" by a local shop last year, they told previous owner to go back to stock airbox and exhaust, then they could get it to run right. Can you believe that?
Where can I find identifying marks on the carbs? They are mikuni. Thanks

More
24 Sep 2008 16:16 #238504 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Jetting HELP!!!
The website www.wgcarbs.com covers what many guys have done to their bikes by doing the "wired George" relay modification.

People sometimes think because the sparkplugs are black it's because they are rich, but the problem may be poor ignition current to the coils.To check this pull the tank,get a multi-meter, turn on the bike but do not start it and check the voltage at the coils.

If less than the battery voltage you have a current drop that's affecting the coil output.The wiring ages in these bikes and corrosion and vibration are all a part of poor ignition conditions.

Look here first before tearing into the carbs with jets,clip adjustments and/or float adjustments

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• prowindow
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
24 Sep 2008 16:40 #238508 by prowindow
It does have aftermarket Dyna III electronic ignition, Don't know how old the conversion is. Can a weak bettery cause ignition problems, because I know the battery is weak.

More
24 Sep 2008 17:35 #238519 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Jetting HELP!!!
yep, a weak batt wont do you any good...ign not working to its full potential.....i have the same bike and have pods and vance and hines w/ comp
baffle..if you nail it down to carbs i can dig out the jet numbers i used...i ran my numbers by wiredgeorge and he said they were kosher...the man knows his poop.....my bike has 33k and still runs strong...carbs made a HUGE difference.....i think you have vm26's on your bike.....again see if george
responds, he will be your difinitive answer....keith

• prowindow
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
24 Sep 2008 21:08 #238559 by prowindow
This, "wired George" He has a cool website, And seems to have good cred, Anybody used his service? Maybe this winter i'll just pull my carbs and send them down to him. any recomendations?

• prowindow
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
24 Sep 2008 21:12 #238560 by prowindow
Thanks keith! If you could get me those numbers it would be awesome! I think this local shop is run by monkeys cuz the guy said he would charge me 300 bucks just to look at and sync the carbs. I have gauges and think maybe I'll do it myself. anyone have experience with these carbs? what should I be looking for on my gauges? Thanks again, I am so glad I found people who like these bikes as much as I do! -Ryan