Leaking carb, possible float problems?

More
21 Sep 2008 11:51 - 21 Sep 2008 11:54 #238037 by SuperTrey
Leaking carb, possible float problems? was created by SuperTrey
The number 1 and maybe number 2 carbs on my 78 1000a2 are leaking. I can't tell if number 2 is just from the residue off number 1, but number 1 for sure is leaking. I pulled the vacuum plugs on the manifolds on all the carbs and they had some gas in the plug. Number 1 had by far the most.

I can't get it to start on the electric anymore, seems like it is flooded. I can kick start it and it fires right up.

I checked in the air box, and it doesn't have any standing gas in it, although the little screens are pretty moist looking. It appears that the connection to the rubber boot going to the air box has some residue seeping out.

I have attached a few pictures. as you can see from the pics, the residue is above the plane of the float bowl gasket, may due to pressure?

My gut feeling is that I have a float not floating, or a float needle not sealing.

Any ideas before I blindly start taking stuff apart?

Thanks for the help.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Sep 2008 11:54 by SuperTrey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2008 11:56 #238039 by SuperTrey
Replied by SuperTrey on topic Leaking carb, possible float problems?
I couldn't figure out how to add multiple pictures. Here is another.

Attachments:

More
21 Sep 2008 11:57 #238040 by SuperTrey
Replied by SuperTrey on topic Leaking carb, possible float problems?
and a third

More
21 Sep 2008 15:46 #238071 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Leaking carb, possible float problems?
Would first disconnect fuel line from carbs and then sniff-test crankcase oil to determine whether gasoline has gotten into the crankcase. If so, would not run engine under this condition. Would change oil and filter AND take all necessary corrective measures before re-attaching the fuel line or again running the engine.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD