Ultrasonic Parts Cleaners

• Bullitt03737
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Sep 2008 17:52 #237277 by Bullitt03737
Ultrasonic Parts Cleaners was created by Bullitt03737
Im going to get a parts cleaner so I can Clean the Carbs on my Bike Real good over the winter, along with polishing em up real nice.

Is this one any good?

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&i...UCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

If someone could point me in the right direction for one of these that would be great!

Not sure if this was the right section or not..

1980 CSR 1000. New dyna Coils, Vacumn Less Petcock, Various Handle bars depending on the day, (Drag and Clubman.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2008 17:59 #237279 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Ultrasonic Parts Cleaners
When using an ultrasonic parts cleaner keep all parts in the baskets as anything on the bottom of the tank will wear a hole and ruin the cleaner. They are great for small parts like jets but unless you buy a larger one the carb bodies will not fit. Micro-mark sells two sizes of cleaners and the cleaning compound www.micromark.com

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
15 Sep 2008 20:38 #237303 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Ultrasonic Parts Cleaners
The correct ultrasonic cleaner will work at two discrete frequencies; one for large surfaces and the other for internal passageways and hold about 7-8 gallons of cleaning solution minimum. These units should also be heated. This type unit can cost a couple $K.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
16 Sep 2008 05:53 #237339 by Limey
Replied by Limey on topic Ultrasonic Parts Cleaners
Honestly - you may be better off with a gallon can of carb cleaner that you can get at AutoZone. The key is that ultrasonic device is a "Jewelers Model". It will work fine on jewelery, and maybe a few small parts, but I doubt it will work very well at getting grunge off a carb.

The chemicals used in ultrasonic systems like this are typically not very aggressive - in the big industrial machines they are more caustic.

I use the gallon can stuff for carbs, etc - leave parts in for a day or two and they come out looking new - but do not get the stuff on your hands, or put any plastic parts in it. It eats holes in your hands, and makes plastic disappear!

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

• Bullitt03737
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Sep 2008 06:29 #237345 by Bullitt03737
Replied by Bullitt03737 on topic Ultrasonic Parts Cleaners
Ive got a gallon of that stuff. It dosent seem to work very well.

If a carb body will fit in the basket that holds a gallon or two, why do I need 7 gallon capacity?

1980 CSR 1000. New dyna Coils, Vacumn Less Petcock, Various Handle bars depending on the day, (Drag and Clubman.)

More
18 Sep 2008 15:03 #237651 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Ultrasonic Parts Cleaners
You are certainly welcome to do anything you like. If you want to buy a little jewelry ultrasonic that can clean one carburetor body at a time, that will work but we do a minimum of one full set at a time (disassembled). Like I said, do some research on which frequencies work for which application and get the cleaner with the correct frequencies of operation otherwise you will spend your money in vain.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Bullitt03737
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Sep 2008 06:17 #237753 by Bullitt03737
Replied by Bullitt03737 on topic Ultrasonic Parts Cleaners
Thank you for your input. Ill get to reasearching.