Carb bowl not filling

More
26 Aug 2008 15:25 #234113 by 77_650B1
Carb bowl not filling was created by 77_650B1
Hey,

One of my bowls aren't filling up. I checked the float valve and it seems to be fine. Any ideas? There may be some gunk clogging my petcock, which I'm gonna clean tomorrow or the next day. I'm going to get new a fuel line and a new inline filter as well, after I clean my carbs.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2008 17:53 #234129 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Carb bowl not filling
I would be looking internally(inside the carb),and not in the fuel-line,or filter.
You ARE getting fuel in the other carbs,so it sounds like you've got a plugged carb.

I'd pull them apart,and give them a good cleaning.
Has the bike sat for any length of time?

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
26 Aug 2008 17:59 #234130 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Carb bowl not filling
I doubt that there is a clog in the petcock. If a single carb bowl isn't filling, it isn't likely a supply from petcock to carb assembly issue. There are a number of things that could be causing this. Is the vent associated with the problem carb free? You didn't say which carb and they are numbered 1 to 4 from left to right as you sit on the bike. If the #1 carb isn't filling, it joins with the #2 carb vent system by the small black hose between the two carbs about half way up the carb bodies. The actual vent is on the #2 carb in the brass barb right behind the small black hose. If this barb has a hose on it, check to see if the hose is pinched. The 3 & 4 carbs work together the same way so if the problem is on that side, check the vent for pinching or obstruction. The purpose of the vent is too allow the float bowl to not set up a vacuum where the floats won't work.

If the vents are clear, remove the float bowl of the offending carb and turn the gas on. If you have a vacuum petcock, put it on PRI. See if gas flows through the float seat and just runs down with the bowl off. If it doesn't the float needle is stuck up in the seat. The reason may be that the float is out of adjustment. Did someone muck with it or do any adjustments? If this is the case, set the float level using the service fuel level method. If the needle doesn't drop down freely with the float hanging down, it is time to just buy a new needle and seat assembly. You unscrew the old one and just screw the new seat in and put the new needle in place.

One of the steps above will likely fix the problem.wg

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Aug 2008 21:48 #234166 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Carb bowl not filling
If none of the above suggestions cure it. Remove the carbs from the bike and seperate them from the holder, I have seen the fuel tubes that connedt the cars get full of crud and not allow fuel thru.
Ride safe

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
27 Aug 2008 06:14 - 27 Aug 2008 06:16 #234210 by 77_650B1
Replied by 77_650B1 on topic Carb bowl not filling
Alright guys, I'll try all that. I replaced all the float needles a couple years ago, and tested them yesterday holding them upside down like you said George, they seem fine. Most likely candidate is the old crud in the tubes thing I'd imagine.

The weird thing is that the guy who synchronized my carbs last plugged the two vents you're talking about George. While perusing your site I noticed that they should be open, so I opened them. She always ran fine with them plugged, but I trust you.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels
Last edit: 27 Aug 2008 06:16 by 77_650B1.

More
27 Aug 2008 09:31 #234254 by 77_650B1
Ok so I took everything apart and cleaned it up. Didn't see any reason for the blockage, but I started her up and she seems to be running fine. I'll have to take her out for a spin later to see if the problem comes back.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
28 Aug 2008 08:59 #234422 by 77_650B1
Ok, so all carbs are getting equal fuel. I still think my petcock needs cleaning, so I'm gonna do that today too. There is a fair amount of rust in my tank. I guess I need to deal with that over the winter.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
28 Aug 2008 19:02 #234525 by 77_650B1
So I think its sorted, I was out for a long time tonight, like 8-11:00, with multiple stops, and she starts and runs consistently and smoothly.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels