Jetting advise needed

More
25 Aug 2008 13:44 #233933 by jcote75
Jetting advise needed was created by jcote75
Hi,

Would need some help here.

I was running my KZ1100R with the stock 4/2 exhaust and stock airbox. Was running fine.

I've install a 4/1 Kerker KR with the 2.5" competition baffle and now I have some miss after 6,000 rpm. By the way, that baffle is very very loud!

I've just order a 2" baffle which should less loud and will arrived in a few weeks.

I have also a set of Emgo pods that will be installing shortly to complete the set up.

So, with the pods + Kerker 2", which jet size should I get to resolve the problem at high revs?

In the mean time, can I ride the bike beeing carefull not to go over 6,000 rpm?

Thanks in advance,
Joce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Royal1MC
  • User
  • Is it just me, or is it just great to be on a KZ
More
25 Aug 2008 15:51 - 25 Aug 2008 16:03 #233963 by Royal1MC
Replied by Royal1MC on topic Jetting advise needed
What size jets are currently running (Main and pilots)?

Not sure which carbs you're running but here's a link for Mikuni carbs:

www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Motorcycle_Carburetor_Jetting__W7.cfm

*1980 Z1-R (current))
*1978 KZ1000 LTD w/ Z1-R frnt end (sold)
*1977 KZ650 B1 (sold)

Los Angeles, CA
Last edit: 25 Aug 2008 16:03 by Royal1MC. Reason: added URL

More
25 Aug 2008 16:07 - 25 Aug 2008 16:09 #233966 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Jetting advise needed
jcote75 wrote:

Hi,

Would need some help here.

I was running my KZ1100R with the stock 4/2 exhaust and stock airbox. Was running fine.

I've install a 4/1 Kerker KR with the 2.5" competition baffle and now I have some miss after 6,000 rpm. By the way, that baffle is very very loud!

I've just order a 2" baffle which should less loud and will arrived in a few weeks.

I have also a set of Emgo pods that will be installing shortly to complete the set up.

So, with the pods + Kerker 2", which jet size should I get to resolve the problem at high revs?

In the mean time, can I ride the bike beeing carefull not to go over 6,000 rpm?

Thanks in advance,
Joce

I vote for being careful since you are probably running too lean now. Install the pods and you will probably be MUCH too lean and it won't run worth crap. BTW, running lean can be dangerous because of burning pistons.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 25 Aug 2008 16:09 by bountyhunter.

More
25 Aug 2008 17:24 #233976 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Jetting advise needed
jcote75 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
Joce

Check this link out, it's a guideline.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...d&gid=212&Itemid=108

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
26 Aug 2008 05:30 #234026 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Jetting advise needed
The guide posted by Kent won't be of much help. I strongly disagree with this type cookie cutter prescription as each set of carbs has a different tuning characteristic and needs to be jetted based on its characteristic rather than a one-size-fits-all formula. About the only thing that can be said for certain is that the pilot jet normally needs to go up at least one size and on many assemblies two sizes based on the needle jet/jet needle combo used. Once you install the pod air filters, you will need to go to a #142.5 main jet and #40 or #42.5 pilot jet on your BS34s. The main jet in your bike is likely around a #122.5 I think... If you run a "race baffle" there is little restriction and you can easily put a flat spot in your bike's rpm range. Sometimes these flat spots can be tuned out by raising the jet needle but mostly remain annoying. It is best to have a baffle that will provide sufficient back pressure so that you don't have these flat spots.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!