kz900 carbs? Tuning

• boogiepicker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Aug 2008 19:25 #232572 by boogiepicker
kz900 carbs? Tuning was created by boogiepicker
I cant figure out my carbs.I have a kz900 with kz1000 cylinders,cams,running pod type filters.I'm trying to get the kz900 carbs to run right on this bike.It loads up on the low end (rich) and seems a bit lean on the top end.I'm running 130 main jets ,I've set the floats,checked the needles (in the middle notch as factory)and I just checked the pilot jet and its a 25? The manual says kz1000's and kz900's both use 17.5 but heres the clincher the pilot jets are not the typical kind.I have a set of junk 1000 carbs and they're not the same.The one in my 900 carbs are recessed into the carb body I believe they are called the "bleeder" type.I cant find any parts fish with this type of jets. My carbs also have a 17mm drain bolt on the bottom of the bowls and no drain tubes?I did find a parts fish with these type of 17mm drain bolts and it was for a Z1 but it did not have my style of pilot jet.Why do you think it is running so rich on low end (1/4 throttle setting) it still idiles well.leave the pilots alone or change them? drop down the needle?HELP!Bob B. NY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Royal1MC
  • User
  • Is it just me, or is it just great to be on a KZ
More
17 Aug 2008 20:58 #232590 by Royal1MC
Replied by Royal1MC on topic kz900 carbs? Tuning
I have the later Z1B carbs (28's), I asked Wired George after providing some info on my setup, He advised me to use #20 pilot jets, which I purched through Z1 Enterprises.

www.z1enterprises.com/

Just type in pilot jets in the search window.

I also think your mains are bit large for bike, are you running 4/1 exhaust on the bike. I current use 120 mains and my setup is slight rich.

I also would recommend wg's power mod, for info:

www.wgcarbs.com/index.php?option=com_con...view&id=12&Itemid=26

*1980 Z1-R (current))
*1978 KZ1000 LTD w/ Z1-R frnt end (sold)
*1977 KZ650 B1 (sold)

Los Angeles, CA

More
18 Aug 2008 07:19 #232621 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic kz900 carbs? Tuning
Bob... too much in your post to address... FIRST thing is to identify the carburetors you are using as they are not the stock VM26SC found on a KZ900 which isn't surprising since your bike seems to be a hodge-podge of non-stock parts. Look under the choke lever at the flange where the carburetor body inserts into the bracket that holds the carbs. There is a number there called an ID MARK. What is the ID MARK number? It is small and hard to read so you will likely have to do some cleaning.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• boogiepicker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Aug 2008 14:08 #232730 by boogiepicker
Replied by boogiepicker on topic kz900 carbs? Tuning
The number on the carbs appears to be PO
written like that
Bob B.

• boogiepicker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Aug 2008 18:42 #232997 by boogiepicker
Replied by boogiepicker on topic kz900 carbs? Tuning
after doing some research and finding the link to z1 enterprises carb identification page, I believe my carbs are 29mm smooth bores so Im starting with 120 mains,17.5 pilots,5dL31 needles,2.5 needle valves,and new pilot adjustment screws. This is on a kz900 w/1000 cylinders,4 into 1 header,and pod filters and starting with needle clip in the middle. Thanks to all the folks that submitted information in this forum it been a great help to me. Bob B.