help..rpms not dropping

More
15 Aug 2008 13:58 #232219 by hooligan
help..rpms not dropping was created by hooligan
hey everyone...i bought a '77 kz650 and have been sorting out carb issues. i started by cleaning, bench syncing and replacing jets and for ease of assembly switched, for better or worse, to pod filters. the bike runs much better now but for one notable exception, the rpms will not drop. ive been testing with the tops of the carbs exposed and the motor will not return to idle with out a slight push of the finger to the top of the slide assembly where the sync adjust is located. if i leave slight pressure on the top of the slide the throttle functions as normal but otherwise the slide will not return to idle position with out this assisstance.

this site has been good help and have tried to search for strings realted to this problem, but to no avail. perhaps i am not using the appropriate wording in my search.

any help is appreciated
adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
15 Aug 2008 14:57 #232222 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic help..rpms not dropping
It sounds like you know what you are doing.

Have you sprayed around the rubbers to see if the carbs are seated properly?

This has been a problem identified through this trouble shoot.

If this is not the problem, then wait for Carb Epert WG to pipe in and he may know whats up.

KR

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
15 Aug 2008 16:16 #232238 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic help..rpms not dropping
Is your throttle cable adjusted correctly? Do you have any slack in the throttle cable when in the idle position?

Do you have any hoses or anything else in the way that might be preventing the throttle from fully returning to idle position?

West Linn, OR

More
15 Aug 2008 16:17 #232239 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic help..rpms not dropping
Either air leak or have you got the cables too tight?

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
19 Aug 2008 15:49 #232962 by hooligan
Replied by hooligan on topic help..rpms not dropping
thanx for the input...tinkered more today, ran it at idle while spraying carb cleaner around carb and boots as to detect airleak without any noticable difference. is there another prefered method of testing for air leaks?
i also unhooked both throttle cables and manually operated throttle to eliminate possibility of throttle cable adjustment being to tight. the problem persisted, itll only idle if i push on the top of the slides pushing them down a final .025-.05" and seating the slides.

the only conclusion i'm able to draw is that, in being a carburator novice, i've managed to fowl something up in my reassembly. before i messed with the carbs, the bike ran poorly but the throttle operated as intended, now it is just hte opposite.

once again, any help is appreciated
adam

More
19 Aug 2008 15:57 #232968 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic help..rpms not dropping
Did you put bigger jets in when you switched to pods? Lean condition will result in high idle.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
19 Aug 2008 18:30 #232988 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic help..rpms not dropping
Are the needles hanging up due to a burr or deposit in the jets? Is the needle(s) bent slightly? Do the slides operate smoothly without the engine running?

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 Aug 2008 19:49 - 19 Aug 2008 19:51 #233009 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic help..rpms not dropping
Perhaps carb idle thumb screw was not adjusted to approximately mid-position at time of bench synch. :unsure:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 19 Aug 2008 19:51 by Patton.

More
19 Aug 2008 20:40 #233023 by hooligan
Replied by hooligan on topic help..rpms not dropping
patton! in my ADD laden ways ive managed to glaze over this aspect of carb tuning in the clymer manual...i set the slide heights with the thumb screw backed all the way out...i'm going to redo it tomarrow with expectedly better results.

thanx adam