Please read! Need Help!

• jus1975
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • www.tripleaperformance.com
More
11 Aug 2008 22:41 #231494 by jus1975
Please read! Need Help! was created by jus1975
Something simple but I dont know. 73 Z1, how do the vacuum lines, fuel lines, and vent lines go. What size are they and how do they hook up to the petcock. I rebuilt the petcock and is there a certain way the little plastic piece goes in. It didn't shut off fuel and fuel came out of both tubes from the petcock. I bought the pingel and it only has one. Is that the correct one and what do you do about the vacuum line if you use the pingel. I would like to use the stock petcock. I am restoring it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
11 Aug 2008 22:56 - 11 Aug 2008 22:57 #231496 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Please read! Need Help!
"...how do the vacuum lines, fuel lines, and vent lines go." I wasn't aware that a 73 Z1 used a vacuum petcock, my KZ900 didn't. In any case you should connect the vacuum lines together and tee them to the vacuum port on the petcock.

"It didn't shut off fuel and fuel came out of both tubes from the petcock." By both tubes I assume you mean the vacuum port and the fuel port. I've never had much luck rebuilding petcocks, mostly because the potmetal is often corroded to the point that the seals can't work properly.

If you use the Pingle just loose the tee from the vacuum ports on the intakes and join the ports together with one tube.

Pretty sure the correct size fuel line is 5/16" while the vacuum line is 1/8", or thereabouts.

Hope that helps.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
Last edit: 11 Aug 2008 22:57 by KZQ.

• jus1975
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Aug 2008 23:03 #231500 by jus1975
Replied by jus1975 on topic Please read! Need Help!
Maybe its not a vacuum petcock. I don't know. I was told it was and told it wasn't. Does anyone know for sure. Who has a 73 z1. Pics would be really nice.

More
12 Aug 2008 05:12 #231529 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic Please read! Need Help!
Jus1975, get a Factory Manual or atleast Clymer or Haynes book on your bike. It´s pretty difficult to comment if you cannot specify whetrher it´s a vacuum petcock or not. Pingel definateli is not and it works. If you are restoring it get the manula and you´ll find plenty of answers.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
12 Aug 2008 05:34 #231532 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Please read! Need Help!
jus1975 wrote:

Something simple but I dont know. 73 Z1, how do the vacuum lines, fuel lines, and vent lines go. What size are they and how do they hook up to the petcock. I rebuilt the petcock and is there a certain way the little plastic piece goes in. It didn't shut off fuel and fuel came out of both tubes from the petcock. I bought the pingel and it only has one. Is that the correct one and what do you do about the vacuum line if you use the pingel. I would like to use the stock petcock. I am restoring it.

"Little plastic piece" indicates a stock manual petcock (not vacuum-operated) and might be 180 degrees off. Assure small spring isn't missing inside between petcock handle and the plastic piece.

Four vacuum nipples on carb holders (between engine and each carb) should each have a rubber cap that remains in place during normal operation. (Caps are removed to synch carbs).

Upper two carb Tees are for vent lines routed to exit into open air underneath seat.

Lower two carb Tees are for fuel lines.

"ON" or "RES" position should allow fuel flow from both petcock outlets.

Single outlet Pingel requires a Tee into twin fuel lines to carbs. Am unaware whether Pingle offers a vacuum-operated version.

New small soft 1/4" fuel line should fit snugly, but might require 5/16". Automotive type fuel line is too stiff, thick and heavy, difficult to work with and route.

With dual-outlet petcock, should use a separate inline fuel filter in each line.

With single-outlet petcock, may use an inline filter before Tee to twin fuel lines going to carbs. Or after the Tee in each line before reaching carb.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Aug 2008 05:42 #231533 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Please read! Need Help!
The 73 has a manual shut off petcock. Look at the petcock; the OEM has two outlets and on the front will say ON OFF RES. A vacuum petcock has ON RES PRI. Next, to hook up the carburetors, go to our website and under wg's Tech Stuff Index, there is a VM Carb Connections link. It has pics and an explanation of how to hook up the carbs. Use 1/4" ID fuel hose. The vents are the same and the overflows are smaller... I think 3/16" or you can get some windshield wiper hose which works fine for the overflows.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• jus1975
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Aug 2008 08:04 #231556 by jus1975
Replied by jus1975 on topic Please read! Need Help!
I have the manuals but it doesn't show the petcock lines. If both outlets on the petcock are for fuel do you just hook one to one side on the carb and one to the other.

More
12 Aug 2008 10:04 #231595 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Please read! Need Help!
jus1975 wrote:

I have the manuals but it doesn't show the petcock lines. If both outlets on the petcock are for fuel do you just hook one to one side on the carb and one to the other.

Yes, that is correct. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Aug 2008 11:56 #231612 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Please read! Need Help!
Seems like having a petcock with two outlets and two inlets on your carb assembly would suggest that type of thing! bwhahahaha put a fuel filter in each line!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!