N over My Head? 80 kz740 twin

More
04 Aug 2008 21:45 #230238 by srennoc
N over My Head? 80 kz740 twin was created by srennoc
Is there any way to zero out, or find a starting point for the screw that controls the synch of my two carbs?
I have been messing with that and the pilot screws, and now think that maybe my prob might have just been a combo of extreamly dirty after market K&N filters (from a leaking tach cable thats been replaced) and using the wrong oil. i also replaced the plugs because they were full of carbon deposits... i replaced them with ones specified in manual, the ones on bike when i bought it were wrong....

in all the adjustments i have been making, it seems no matter what i do, i get this lagging somewehere between 3-5K rpm, no matter the speed. i am steady on throttle but bike acts like it is either trying to slow down or speed up.. just not consistent...

when i got the bike, it backfired alot, and that is why i started playing with the adjustment of the carbs, but now it doesnt backfire, and runs really crappy except when i am just getting on it...

also, noticed that after all the tinkering i have done, the throttle now acts weird, as in the iddle... i would throttle up, and it wouldnt come back down, it would stay at a high idle for several seconds before coming down...

should i just face the facts and take it to a shop? or is there a starting point i can get to, and start trouble shooting?

i am just concerned that there are multiple factors involved in my problems and i am missing something...

i will tell you more info if you need to know more, or even take pics of carbs so you can see if it is aftermarket, because i dont know really...

i bought the bike knowing i would need to do work, but i was expecting that over the winter, as it ran well when i got it... maybe i am just being impatient, and need to go ahead and break it down... but i really want to ride th rest of the summer! aahhh!

1980 KZ750G TWIN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2008 22:24 #230240 by steell
Replied by steell on topic N over My Head? 80 kz740 twin
Yes, you can "bench synch" the carbs, that give you a point at which the bike will start and run halfway decent, but after that you need to synch then with a manometer.

You can search KZR and/or the web for details on bench synching the carbs.

KD9JUR

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
05 Aug 2008 18:41 #230389 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic N over My Head? 80 kz740 twin
srennoc wrote:

....also, noticed that after all the tinkering i have done, the throttle now acts weird, as in the iddle... i would throttle up, and it wouldnt come back down, it would stay at a high idle for several seconds before coming down...

i am just concerned that there are multiple factors involved in my problems and i am missing something...

That is a lean condition. But let me stop there, you are right you are changing a bunch of stuff while guessing at it. Steell is right, you should do a "bench sync" as described in the manual. Then, set the pilots as described in the manual, and set the float height as described in the manual, and vary them slightly if needed. Run 1/3 of a 16 oz. can of seafoam in a fresh full tank of gas, and re-adjust the pilots (still within spec) as the gunk get cleaned out of the carbs over the next 100 miles or so....

If you need a manual, I have a few versions on my site at:

biquetoast.com/manuals.html

B)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com