on going carb problem...80 kz 750 twin "Frank"

• toof
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • i was born here all my life
More
03 Aug 2008 12:09 #229886 by toof
so I have tried the float method and it seemed to provide a temporary solution. frank ran great for about 2 weeks and the feul began spewing out of overflows on my way home from work. after a couple rounds of this frustrating nonsense I threw in the towel and took it to the local shop and had them refurbish the carbs,..frank was running like a champ!! That joy was stripped from me about 2 1/2 weeks later when frank started spewing again... I think it would have to be the float malfunctioning or imperfections in the float needle and seat.. could it just be sediment passing thru filters and lodging itself in the carb?.. float hinge sticking? It has only been a problem on the right cylinder.
I need help people!! thanks in advance!!

toof]

toofless dan
santa fe nm
1980 kz750 ltd twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2008 18:48 - 03 Aug 2008 18:51 #229960 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic on going carb problem...80 kz 750 twin "Frank"
I also have a 750 twin and have regularly seen the flooding problems. here's the cure:

1) Flush the crud out of the fuel tank and clean the petcock.

2) Clean the crud out of the carbs.

3) Install inline filters.

4) MANDATORY: Either get new needles and seats or take the old ones and "spin" them in a drill and polish the tapered ends and seat area so they seal well. If these are not sealing, you will constantly have flooding problems.

5) Adjust fuel level with clear tube.

USE THE PETCOCK TO TURN OFF THE FUEL WHEN YOU PARK IT.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 03 Aug 2008 18:51 by bountyhunter.

More
04 Aug 2008 08:44 #230062 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic on going carb problem...80 kz 750 twin "Frank"
Take the bike back to the shop that worked on it and see if they stand behind their work.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
05 Aug 2008 18:59 #230391 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic on going carb problem...80 kz 750 twin "Frank"
I agree with George and BountyHunter... however, I would modify only one thing Bountyhunter wrote... for step 4, just get new ones from z1enterprises.

Yours are worn and bad, trust me (if they are not new from the shop). The little springs in the valves lose tension over the years....

New ones will help, but *nothing* will do you any good if you don't have inline motorcycle-type fuel filters (get them from z1enterprises.com while you're at it) to stop the crud from jacking up the seal of the float valves!

:)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com