Carb rebuild

More
22 Jul 2008 23:45 #227799 by CptEDIV
Carb rebuild was created by CptEDIV
I'm trying to order the right carb rebuild kit for my bike, how do I know exactly which carbs I have? The production date on the forks reads 81, but the exhaust and parts that have fit so far have been 1979 kz 650 D2, which is what it says on the pipes. The second carb has an accelerator pump, and they are mikunis with the thin taller carbs, not the flat round ones. I can't find the rebuild kits on z1, and I have a hard time getting the right parts from bike bandit... Any advice on how to find these? I found some on ebay but they don't seem right either and I don't want waste time/money on something that doesnt work... Thanks,

-Ed

1979 KZ 650 D2 \"Midnight\" blue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2008 11:39 - 23 Jul 2008 11:41 #227862 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Carb rebuild
You'll need to get kits for an older kz650 and buy separate bowl gaskets because the bowl gaskets on the pumper carbs are different. That's the only major difference though, all the other parts in the rebuild kits from the early kz650s are direct replacement and included in the K&L carb kits. (I rebuilt carbs on both my 77 and 81 kz650s and ran into the same issue).

There won't be parts to rebuild the accelerator pump in the kit though, you have to buy that rebuild kit separately if it needs rebuilt.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE
Last edit: 23 Jul 2008 11:41 by anarki650.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.