K&N Airfilters...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
20 Jul 2008 09:54 #227252 by clutch
K&N Airfilters... was created by clutch
Hey all,

I recently bought a 1980 KZ250 LTD. On of the previous owners installed a K&N airfilter, but didn't bother rejetting the carb. I am wondering if performance and fuel economy is really that much better with this filter. Should I rejet the carb or reinstall the original airbox? Either way I will need the parts, so if you have links to where I can get them, please let me know (if you're allowed to post them here).

Thanks,

Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2008 14:55 #227309 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic K&N Airfilters...
Are you talking about a K&N bolted directly to the carb? If so you may need to rejet slightly. Does it pull strong to redline? How do the plugs look? This will tell you if rejetting is needed... Let us know... ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
20 Jul 2008 20:54 #227371 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic K&N Airfilters...
The airfilter has replaced the original air box. By plugs, do you mean the spark plug? If so that's new, but I'm thinking you might be referring to something else. I haven't pulled the carb off to inspect anything yet since I've only had the bike for a few days.

Basically, what it does is a very slight hesitation when I first roll on the throttle (like it's getting too much air/not enough gas), but when I give it a little more juice, I have no issues. It's almost like a dead spot on a TPS(even though it doesn't have one). Other than the slight hesitation, I don't notice any other issues.

Thanks,

Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
21 Jul 2008 05:52 #227401 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic K&N Airfilters...
Yes, I'm talking about "reading" the spark plugs. A nice tannish color is good, getting towards white is running lean, and getting towards black is running rich. :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!